1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Sony SS-CS3 and SS-CS5 have me cleaning house

Discussion in 'New Gear - Values' started by teebee, Sep 22, 2017.

1. teebee

teebee Well-Known Member

Has anyone become familiar with these Core Series" speakers that Sony has come out with in the last couple of years? They sound surprisingly good and have great reviews and tests. They are my best sounding pair of speakers in regards to balance and neutrality, and I've had lots of good speakers over the last 15 years. Sony and Yoshiyuki Kaku did a great job with them. They have a fairly flat-warm contour with good detail, balance and dispersion. Braced MDF and film caps add to the value.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg

boybuick85 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. boybuick85

boybuick85 Active Member

I definitely am not familiar with everything you have in your pic but have been wondering about these myself. What would you put them on par with ? I see your ads. How do they compare to them for example ??
    Are they very detailed ?

teebee likes this.
  3. teebee

teebee Well-Known Member

They sound more full bodied than everything in the picture, yet more polite and not in the least bit unmusical or harsh. Detailed, yes, but not analytical. They have a punchy midbass and very nice mids and highs. All of those other speakers are gone. They were nice too, but I didn't feel any need to switch back and forth, so off they went. The Sonys still stand with the giant subwoofer. Sony hit the nail on the head with these. Unless you go DIY or find a great deal on used gear, you may not ever find a used speaker as musical for less than a few hundred. Sony can afford to build value into these. They seem to be selling well and getting great reviews.

chodad and boybuick85 like this.
  4. teebee

teebee Well-Known Member

Still have the Sonys. My C-note kit came yesterday, lets see how they stack up to my GR Vifa Visaton reference towers and the mighty Phase Tech PC-60.

962E6F5B-AD1D-4D37-97D6-404BED560D94.jpeg C4447203-79AB-4230-8E54-61215E715DF0.jpeg 962E6F5B-AD1D-4D37-97D6-404BED560D94.jpeg

hifix likes this.
  5. hifix

hifix Active Member

Please keep us posted. :)
    I was planning to get the c-notes after looking at the frequency response plot and following a youtube review. The cost of shipping put an end to it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 8:49 AM