1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Sony SS-G1 Woofer gave up

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Pandora, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Pandora

Pandora New Member

One of my beloved Sony SS-G1 speakers is running on two legs. Over the weekend I was playing a CD with a lot of low end, but at moderate levels. (edit: I Ching - "Of the Marsh and the Moon" Chesky SACD265)
    All of a sudden one of the woofers made a scratchy sound and minutes later... died! :tears: Measuring zero ohms, the coil must have burnt out. DARN!
    Does anyone know a place where I can get these woofers? It's a SEAS 250W018, see pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jpdylon

jpdylon non-active member...

I'm not sure where you could get a replacement other than by finding one on ebay or a used pair - however since the coil overheated and shorted, make sure your amplifier wasn't damaged when it shorted.

3. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Check with Madisound to see if they can match up a suitable replacement.

If no good match can be found, might be best to replace both with something close as possible.

4. rockin1150

rockin1150 Super Member

8" ? 10" what size?

try this website called partsexpress.com they have tons of nice replacements, granted not the exact ones, but nice oem's and great prices. I used them once for a set of akai sw series with 10" alnico's. they paired well with the akai drivers and cost about $22 ea. and even increased the low end response. cheers

5. 4343

4343 Super Member

Check the tinsel leads before giving up on it. Try measuring the coil at the connection to the cone. You might have to scrape some glue off the wires to find a good contact.

To see if you are contacting the wire, check from the cone to the terminal on both sides till you get zero ohms on both tinsel leads. If one does not give you zero, it could be the problem...

6. Pandora

Pandora New Member

Thanks guys, for the tips! I measured correctly, the leads from the contacts to the coil after scraping it clean still measures zero ohms. JPDylon, thanks for your concern about the amp, it did not get damaged. After I noticed the mishap, first thing I did was switching off the amp. Also I checked Madisound and Partsexpress, and yes, they have plenty woofers for sale, but the question is, which one suits best? And of course I have to replace both woofers in that case. As a collector of vintage audio, one wants the old stuff to be as original as possible. I think I will wait until another pair of SS-G1's comes along on ePay or thru my local WantAd...

(edit) In the meantime I picked up a pair of Sony SS-7300's in very good shape. Pics to follow.

7. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

I should have been more clear.

When I suggested "check with Madisound", I meant call them, give them the SEAS part number, and ask if they can recommend a suitable replacement.

8. Damage

Damage Super Member

Do you know what version they are? Since those are made in norway I would assume MKII and that means SEAS woofers. Maybe you can get a replacement through them?

9. geiman

geiman E Wave appellation #49

Check your amp to make sure it's not going DC. DC current will destroy a woofer in a hurry. Your other speaker made it through the ordeal ok.
    So the problem might be just with one channel.

10. MrOldtuberad

MrOldtuberad New Member

I need a Sony 250W018 or SEAS 25 F EWSG, if someone have one for sell, thanks a lot!
    Bye

11. leesonic

leesonic Hold on, here comes the bass. Subscriber

Since you are in the Netherlands, you're a lot closer to Norway than most people in the United States. I would suggest contacting SEAS and see if they can repair your woofer, after all, they made it. If they can't do this, or it's too expensive, you could always replace both the woofers with new ones. What you need to do is measure the internal volume of your cabinets (easy with the woofers removed) and find a suitable replacement. Parts Express here in the US lists the woofers they sell with the suggested enclose size. I don't know if there are places like this in the Netherlands, but there used to be a place in England called Wilmslow Audio, maybe they can help?

Lee.