Sony SS-G7 Speakers? What have I found?

BilboBaggins

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Good evening fine folks of AK! As you can see, I’m riding a bubble at the moment. I just got home with a pair of Sony SS-G7 speakers. They look really good, with all drivers intact, I think. I haven’t plugged them in yet, as they weigh 115 lbs each, and I’m going to have to wait until my son comes over to help me bring them in. Once I get them in, I’ll post pictures and updates on my discoveries with them.

I’m hoping someone here has owned a pair of these before and can tell me what I have. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
My son dropped by just after I started this thread, so we were able to bring the speakers in. I’ve got them hooked up to my Bose 1801, and they sound beautiful! All drivers are working and we didn’t hear any distortion at all!

Here are some quick pictures as they are.

EF26D5A4-D553-4977-A0AE-3F60B7AE8285.jpeg E6354093-1C9F-497C-A6D1-B31BE1A4549B.jpeg 634C1817-41E9-44F9-B981-2C58A57F2104.jpeg 48C2BBBE-5DD4-41EA-87CC-7FD1EEAD297D.jpeg 4C5EDF69-463B-4237-9BD0-370EB2986E98.jpeg

Wow! Never seen those before.
So tell us their story and how you found them.
And, shoot a video and post it in the video thread so we all can get an idea of how they sound!
Cheers!

Very good speakers. Post ULM, and pre APM. I had a shot at getting these back in ‘88, they were for sale at a little under $200 at the old Stereo Exchange in Edison NJ. Good ol Dominic Saadi got the most unusual stuff in!
Enjoy them, they’re excellent.

Video will be a little challenging as my phone is loaded with pictures, but I’ll be happy to tell the story.

Friday night over here in the shire is grandson night. My wife had had a late lunch, so she didn’t want to come out for supper with us. I brought my grandson out to supper, and then we went to my favourite Value Village. I struck out, but he found an X box game. I was about to drive home, but instead of going right towards home, I went left towards a Salvation Army and a St Vincent de Paul. We both struck out at SA, so we went to SV de P. I always check out the vintage books when I go in, and then go to the back and check the electronics. I have never ever found anything at this store, but when I turned into the electronics aisle, I saw them. Two huge speakers. My heart started beating. I pulled off the grill on one and closed it up and went straight to the cash. I told the cashier I wanted to pay for them now, and then I would go home and get my SUV. I was driving my wife’s Cruze, and it was way too small! They told me it is only cash and carry. I had to take them as soon as I paid for them!

I asked how long they were open tonight, and she said 9. It was already 7 PM. My grandson and I jumped into the car and I drive home as fast as I could safely drive. Jumped into my Tucson and went straight back! I still hadn’t looked up any details on them yet, but I knew they were something good! I drove back quickly. Thankfully, I live only 10 minutes away, but it was the longest 10 minutes in my life! I got back to the store, and phew, they were still there. I was almost shaking when I went to the cash and told the cashier I would need help getting them out. She called for someone in receiving to assist, and I paid for them, and we loaded them into the Tucson! I love the folding seats on the Tucson, and it has allowed me to bring home some pretty big items. These baby’s just fit, as I knew they would, because I was able to bring my Cornwalls home in the same car.

The speakers are finished in fine polished wood veneer, with minimal scratches, probably received when dropped off at the thrift! Scores are getting rare and are fewer in between, but they still exist. Now I have to decide if I like them better than my Kef 105s or Cornwalls. That won’t be easy to decide, because these are all quite large speakers and placement is not easy in my house. My last real thrift Audio score was at the Salvation Army right beside this SV de P, about 2 1/2 years ago, a week before my wedding. It was a Pioneer SA-9100 for $50. These G7s were $20 each!

Last edited:
Video will be a little challenging as my phone is loaded with pictures, but I’ll be happy to tell the story.

Friday night over here in the shire is grandson night. My wife had had a late lunch, so she didn’t want to come out for supper with us. I brought my grandson out to supper, and then we went to my favourite Value Village. I struck out, but he found an X box game. I was about to drive home, but instead of going right towards home, I went left towards a Salvation Army and a St Vincent de Paul. We both struck out at SA, so we went to SV de P. I always check out the vintage books when I go in, and then go to the back and check the electronics. I have never ever found anything at this store, but when I turned into the electronics aisle, I saw them. Two huge speakers. My heart started beating. I pulled off the grill on one and closed it up and went straight to the cash. I told the cashier I wanted to pay for them now, and then I would go home and get my SUV. I was driving my wife’s Cruze, and it was way too small! They told me it is only cash and carry. I had to take them as soon as I paid for them!

I asked how long they were open tonight, and she said 9. It was already 7 PM. My grandson and I jumped into the car and I drive home as fast as I could safely drive. Jumped into my Tucson and went straight back! I still hadn’t looked up any details on them yet, but I knew they were something good! I drove back quickly. Thankfully, I live only 10 minutes away, but it was the longest 10 minutes in my life! I got back to the store, and phew, they were still there. I was almost shaking when I went to the cash and told the cashier I would need help getting them out. She called for someone in receiving to assist, and I paid for them, and we loaded them into the Tucson! I love the folding seats on it, and it has allowed me to bring home some pretty big items. These baby’s just fit, as I knew they would, because I was able to bring my Cornwalls home in the same car.

The speakers are finished in fine polished wood veneer, with minimal scratches, probably received when dropped off at the thrift! Scores are getting rare and are fewer in between, but they still exist. Now I have to decide if I like them better than my Kef 105s or Cornwalls. That won’t be easy to decide, because these are all quite large speakers and placement is not easy in my house. My last real thrift Audio score was at the Salvation Army right beside this SV de P, about 2 1/2 years ago, a week before my wedding. It was a Pioneer SA-9100 for $50. These G7s were $20 each!
Great story! I've gone through the same thing, I'm sure like many of us here, so I know that anxiety! You sir, got a big score for that price!
Once you download some pics to free up space on your phone, shoot us a video!
Congrats!
Glenn

Last edited:
Nice.
I was reading in the TVK Talk section where a poster mentioned the surrounds on those harden over time.
limiting bass extension? If true maybe something to soften them up?
Rare Funstuff!

Nice.
I was reading in the TVK Talk section where a poster mentioned the surrounds on those harden over time.
limiting bass extension? If true maybe something to soften them up?
Rare Funstuff!

I’ll have to find that. The first thing I like to do whenever I find something interesting is to read everything I can find on it. I’m still researching these, but so far I’ve found very little negative about them. What I did read, seems to me may have been influenced by the amp. I did a quick side by side comparison to the Kef 105s but will need much more time to compare. Both pairs of speakers are being driven by their own Bose 1801 running through the same Bose 4401.

Damn, exotic find (never seen those myself) AND a killer score??

Big thumbs up, brother!!! They look serious

These are very serious speakers. All 115 lbs each!

The grills are in nice shape, extremely well made with metal framing.

It had been a while since I had the rush of the FIND! I’ve missed that. And to find something as special as these seem to be, for $40? Oh man! I found a really nice Coach purse for one of my girls on Thursday at Value Village for only $5 less. With all the crap we’ve been running into lately, it’s nice to see the other side of Ying and Yang.

HUUUGE score!@! wow and wow. it's stories like this, which force me to stop at every SA/DAV I see, even though there's rarely anything there but dust, funky smells and door knob germs.

Maybe it's because I live in the IA. The local Craigslist Electronics section usually has 11 listings for the whole state and half of those, are posters therein are "looking to buy vintage equipment".

The best I get at the local charity stores- sometimes a few vinyl scores.. recently found a mint "Little Feat" CD for $1.99.. now I need a CD player- bah.

:D

I did some more listening today using some of the music I use to test speakers and amps. I’m thinking every now and then, that I’m hearing some ‘fuzziness’ but I’m not sure. Based on what I read on TVK, they didn’t use the best quality inductors or caps, so I will likely rebuild the crossovers. I love how these speakers look, and the bass seems pretty good. Judging by the dust lodged in the cavities, I suspect these stayed in a basement unused for a good long while. So I’m going to hold off doing anything for a while, and then I will start investigating starting at the crossovers.

As an afterthought today, I decided to drop by the same thrift I found the speakers at, in case any stereo components had been dropped off, but if they had been, the only thing left was the stereo cabinet. It was worth a shot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom