Sony SS-M 3,7,9 speaker owner role call

cubdog

banging through drywall
Let start a thread for these wonderful speakers and those of us lucky enough to own them.

Which do you have? What are you driving them with? And pictures are always nice.

I'll start by saying that I own a pair of SS-M7s with original stands. I'll get some fresh pictures taken and post them tomorrow.

I have one pair of SS-M7's, driven by an Aragon Soundstage/Dynaco ST-70 combo (and at times a Sony 6060 receiver). All the other gear in the right stack is on loan.

Just acquired a pair of SS-M3's, which will likely move into my office and be driven by a Sansui Eight Deluxe.

IMG_3605.jpg

And I have one single SS-M7A in a simple mono system, driven by a passive "preamp" (Schiit Sys) into a homemade stereo-to-mono converter, into a TPA3116 chip amp. You can see a bit of the gear hidden behind the black railing on the left, but the single speaker sits in the corner of my dining room.

IMG_3606.jpg

Well I figured I would join the party,

So I had two sets of M9's back in the day, right now I'm down to my Sony SS-M9P's and missing the M7/M3's I use to have. I might have the M3's coming back so it would be nice, also have the factory stands for them.

The M9P's are very clean, piano black, custom screw floor stabilizers, the works. Running them on a Sony TA-F808ES that was completely restored from the chassis up with the best parts. Also used a STR-GX10ES for awhile and have the M3's when they get here on a STR-GX9ES.

I'll have pics coming soon!

Well I figured I would join the party,

So I had two sets of M9's back in the day, right now I'm down to my Sony SS-M9P's and missing the M7/M3's I use to have. I might have the M3's coming back so it would be nice, also have the factory stands for them.

The M9P's are very clean, piano black, custom screw floor stabilizers, the works. Running them on a Sony TA-F808ES that was completely restored from the chassis up with the best parts. Also used a STR-GX10ES for awhile and have the M3's when they get here on a STR-GX9ES.

I'll have pics coming soon!

Yeah, you had quite the collection of SS-Mx's for awhile. Did you just want to try another sound?

Hah, yeah I really got hooked. I think the hardest thing for me was forgetting about the speakers and just listening to the music. The M series of Sony has always impressed me when it's able to disappear into the music. That is what hooked me and took me on a wild ride. My go to speakers are the M9P and they always give me a very honest answer about my equipment I use.

The Altec sound is another one that I just can't shake loose. This one is very open and can help me get lost in the music too. For the most part I think I'm treating speakers like most woman treat shoes..... I just need a pair for certain occasions hahaha.

I've never tired of the Sony sound and I will always look to buy anything of the series especially parts. How about you? What is it about the series that has you hooked?

Here are a few pictures of my setups I've had and changed. Just to give you an idea of the Sony SS-M bug and how bad it can bite.

I ll get more recent pics, I moved into a house so things changed around for me. But I still love the M9P's every time I see and hear them.

image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Just upgraded to a pair of SS-M7As, after owning a couple sets of M3s and wanting a little more bass extension. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to test them on my main amplifier (TA-N9000ES) since it's been in the repair shop for longer than I've had the pleasure to listen to music on it.

Seriously considering a newer amplifier in the near future.

Those M9P's remind me of the set (5.1) that I saw at an AES in SF, but the ones I saw had a little aim-able super tweeter on the top of the cabinet. The demo room was setup by the Oxford England branch of Sony, so they may have been a non U.S. model or even a one-off.
I did notice they were using the same Bryston amps we were using on the standard M9's in out theaters.

Anyone ever seen those and know the model number if there is one?

Those M9P's remind me of the set (5.1) that I saw at an AES in SF, but the ones I saw had a little aim-able super tweeter on the top of the cabinet. The demo room was setup by the Oxford England branch of Sony, so they may have been a non U.S. model or even a one-off.
I did notice they were using the same Bryston amps we were using on the standard M9's in out theaters.

I think the ones with the supertweeters are SS-M9EDs.

Here. SS-M7. I've had a black pair and a pair of SS-M3's as well.
I've bi-amped them with Mcintosh MC30's and MC240

I will probably always have this cherry pair.

Oh yeah: thanks to Crestwood! ;)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Yeah the Sony SS-M9ED has the 4 way setup but Sony made a stand alone version to add. It's the Sony SS-TW100 if I recall and it's the super tweeter and network that can plug and play on any speaker. I've actually been looking for one to add to mine to give me the closer jump to the M9ED.

How about you? What is it about the series that has you hooked?

I find the M7's to just have a great balance of nice tight bass and warm/full midrange; fairly forgiving and never fatiguing. They just seem to work in my difficult room where many other speakers have shown weaknesses.

I sometimes use a sub, but don't really feel like I need one. I wouldn't mind a bit more energy in the highs (just a bit less rolled off), but altogether it's done the most right out of everything I've tried.

Thanks for the pictures guys. I still haven't got my new pictures posted as promised but I will. [I promise]

Hey guys, just wanted to give an update

I finally got one of the piece's I've been looking to get forever...

THE SONY SS-M1CN Center Channel!!

This thing has always eluded me and I finally snagged one and its being shipped to me as I type this. I was very lucky to get it and it's in really nice shape. It's not perfect by any means, but I can fix anything that It needs aside from the driver which is happily perfect.

The crazy part? The guy had 2....... 2 Of these so very hard to find speakers! Another guy got one, but I was just happy to have the one I bought. So I can't wait to get it and start making a nice home theater system with my M9's

Those are the Sony SS-M9ED's, however Sony offered the super tweets in a package if you wanted to upgrade the standard M9's. Those would be the Sony SS-TW-100ED. They are awesome and I'm looking for a set, maybe someday.

Here is a picture of my newest addition to the SS-M series

IMG_3969.JPG IMG_3970.JPG IMG_3971.JPG

Those are the Sony SS-M9ED's, however Sony offered the super tweets in a package if you wanted to upgrade the standard M9's. Those would be the Sony SS-TW-100ED. They are awesome and I'm looking for a set, maybe someday.

Here is a picture of my newest addition to the SS-M series

View attachment 800122 View attachment 800128 View attachment 800130

I saw that on the bay. Got an alert and it was sold by the time I woke up. Great price, congrats. Let us know how it sounds.

Yeah, I'm eager to hear what you think of the center channel. I have one too, but I want to hear your opinions:)

I recently aquired some M7As, so naturally I swapped my M3s out (small bedroom). Before I put them in temporary storage, I decided to give them a listen, in my much larger master bedroom, with them laser pointer aligned on my spot on the bed. Drew the curtains, closed the door and hit play on my Angel Olsen FLAC file. Unbeknownst to me, I didn't clear the room of all cats, in particular, my 1-year old. Long story short, he punctured the rubber surround of the woofer in 3 places:mad:

Anyone know where I can find replacement Sony/Peerless rubber surrounds? I've seen plenty of foam replacements on eBay, but they don't match the aesthetics.

Back
Top Bottom