Sony SS-M 3,7,9 speaker owner role call

I need to take new pictures but I've misplaced, again, my camera. Since I promised to post some speaker pictures this will have to do for the moment. It also affords me the opportunity toSAM_0005.JPG SAM_0010.JPG post another version of my avatar with my buddy Jasper. RIP my friend.

Hmmm man, that really sucks! They are hard to source, I'll check around and see what I can dig up. Oddly enough there was a driver for sale on the bay I think just last week. Not sure if it sold or what the status was. I'll keep my eyes out for you, I always look for the parts when I can.

I need to take new pictures but I've misplaced, again, my camera. Since I promised to post some speaker pictures this will have to do for the moment. It also affords me the opportunity toView attachment 805108 View attachment 805106 post another version of my avatar with my buddy Jasper. RIP my friend.

Beautiful setup and I'm sorry to hear about your buddy. I lost one as well not to long ago and it still hits me hard

@Galaxie65 how does that center channel you picked up sound?

Hey buddy, honestly it sounds awesome. I'm still having to set up things but so far it's really a nice addition.

Making the M9s/M3s and the center channel into the home theater for a little while. Wanted to test it out and see how it does.

Hey guys, just wanted to give an update

I finally got one of the piece's I've been looking to get forever...

THE SONY SS-M1CN Center Channel!!

This thing has always eluded me and I finally snagged one and its being shipped to me as I type this. I was very lucky to get it and it's in really nice shape. It's not perfect by any means, but I can fix anything that It needs aside from the driver which is happily perfect.

The crazy part? The guy had 2....... 2 Of these so very hard to find speakers! Another guy got one, but I was just happy to have the one I bought. So I can't wait to get it and start making a nice home theater system with my M9's
I'm the guy who got the other one. Physically in good shape. Haven't hooked it up though. What's your final thoughts on the sound?

Hmmm man, that really sucks! They are hard to source, I'll check around and see what I can dig up. Oddly enough there was a driver for sale on the bay I think just last week. Not sure if it sold or what the status was. I'll keep my eyes out for you, I always look for the parts when I can.
Yup! I'm the guy that picked up that driver too. Just trying to keep a stockpile of backups. The _bay seller had a single mid, and a single bass driver, both initially available through the "buy it now" option. The mid went for $75 within an hour of posting, the bass driver was listed for $125, and sat there for a couple of hours. I went back to check it out and it was no longer available through the buy it now option. For one reason or another, he removed that option and had the auction go through completion. I was able to get it for a pretty darn good price.

Adding myself to this role call. Just picked up a pair of M7s. Love them. I have a pair of a/d/s/ M12 which I really like, and my wife liked even better as they are a beautiful speaker. Those brown/bronze metal grills just disappear into the background, even thought they are a physically large speaker. So, I thought I'd have a tough time performing an a/b test. However just a few minutes with the Sony's and it's clear that these are on another level. The a/d/s/ have a fantastic mid and can handle the human voice really well. But the overall presentation of music, and the soundstage the Sony's create is greater, and even though I have a Velodyne sub I run at very low levels to fill out the bottom, the Sony's present bass in a much fuller range of bass texture. That's impressive given that the a/d/s/ have two 8" woofers. Oh, and ignore the non-audiophile plant stand, it's just for experimentation!

I had previously bought a single SS M7A hoping to find a match, but ran out of patience. So, I'll be unloading that soon.
ss m7.jpg

Adding myself to this role call. Just picked up a pair of M7s. Love them. I have a pair of a/d/s/ M12 which I really like, and my wife liked even better as they are a beautiful speaker. Those brown/bronze metal grills just disappear into the background, even thought they are a physically large speaker. So, I thought I'd have a tough time performing an a/b test. However just a few minutes with the Sony's and it's clear that these are on another level. The a/d/s/ have a fantastic mid and can handle the human voice really well. But the overall presentation of music, and the soundstage the Sony's create is greater, and even though I have a Velodyne sub I run at very low levels to fill out the bottom, the Sony's present bass in a much fuller range of bass texture. That's impressive given that the a/d/s/ have two 8" woofers. Oh, and ignore the non-audiophile plant stand, it's just for experimentation!

I had previously bought a single SS M7A hoping to find a match, but ran out of patience. So, I'll be unloading that soon.
View attachment 831895

Nice - they beat all my other speakers too.

View attachment 831895

Last edited:
Another blessed SS-M collector (and parts hoarder) here. A previous AK thread outlines how I bought a pair of really nice M7 from a former Sony employee, then somehow stumbled upon an entire 5.1 SS-M system, including original stands for the M7, from my neighbor (another Sony employee, unknown to me until I mentioned my M7 acquisition.). He wasn't using the speakers and agreed to sell them to me at a reasonable price.

I subsequently purchased a pair of M9 from our AK friend Eastpoint, got a donated pair of original M3 stands (for shipping only) from another fellow AKer, then sold off the extra pair of M7, and just acquired a second (yes, gluttony) SS-M1CN.

I love the series so much, both sonically and aesthetically, that I,too, hoard parts. Yes, I am another competitor for parts on eBay.

I run the M9, M3, and M1 in 5.1 with an Onkyo HT AVR (the extra M1 is not being run right now.)

I run the M7 in 2-channel, bi-amped with my McIntosh setup.

Pics to follow my friends. Jason.

Attachments

• IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0386.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
My SS-M7 and original stands are collecting dust mostly. My second pair , got sold off locally. Definitely a great sounding speaker, although I tend to use an ATC SCM 20 / JL Audio Fathom F110 sub combo , or a set of Acoustic Energy AE1 paired with a set of ML Depth subs more regularly. Hell even the Nautilus 802s are bench warming. I even passed on a set of M9ed and kept the B&W 802N, I just preferred the Nautius for the type of projects I was working on at the time.

I'm not sure what the fate of the SS-M7 will be, but there's room to hoard them for now. I like the way they sound with the Audire Forte and Musical Fidelity X-A200 mono amps in particular, so they have that working in their favor.

I would still like to hear the M9s. My M7s are currently center stage being driven by a Mac MC7270 amp with MX110 preamp.
I really love this combination! The soundstage is incredible.

Here's my M3/M7s over the last couple of years:

IMG_4816.JPG IMG_5698.JPG IMG_6112.JPG

Another blessed SS-M collector (and parts hoarder) here. A previous AK thread outlines how I bought a pair of really nice M7 from a former Sony employee, then somehow stumbled upon an entire 5.1 SS-M system, including original stands for the M7, from my neighbor (another Sony employee, unknown to me until I mentioned my M7 acquisition.). He wasn't using the speakers and agreed to sell them to me at a reasonable price.

I subsequently purchased a pair of M9 from our AK friend Eastpoint, got a donated pair of original M3 stands (for shipping only) from another fellow AKer, then sold off the extra pair of M7, and just acquired a second (yes, gluttony) SS-M1CN.

I love the series so much, both sonically and aesthetically, that I,too, hoard parts. Yes, I am another competitor for parts on eBay.

I run the M9, M3, and M1 in 5.1 with an Onkyo HT AVR (the extra M1 is not being run right now.)

You know, had I known that a matching center actually existed, I would have never sold off my second pair of M7s and M3s.
A full HT with these must be incredible!?

You know, had I known that a matching center actually existed, I would have never sold off my second pair of M7s and M3s.
A full HT with these must be incredible!?
They pop up every once in a great while on ebay. There was one that was up for $300 or so a couple of weeks ago (I saw the buy it now listing and passed). It's most likely now one of the ones posted here. I'm wondering what the story was behind the SS-M3s that were up... seems that the final sold price was the result of some fierce bidding since it sold for roughly 2.5 times more that what I've normally seen. Or maybe the people bidding thought they were SS-M7's :) actually, they "sold" for more than SS-M7's maybe they laid golden eggs or something.

They pop up every once in a great while on ebay. There was one that was up for $300 or so a couple of weeks ago (I saw the buy it now listing and passed). It's most likely now one of the ones posted here. I'm wondering what the story was behind the SS-M3s that were up... seems that the final sold price was the result of some fierce bidding since it sold for roughly 2.5 times more that what I've normally seen. Or maybe the people bidding thought they were SS-M7's :) actually, they "sold" for more than SS-M7's maybe they laid golden eggs or something.

I was amazed at that closing price as well, and have to think there was something going on there. I think the M3's are very nice speakers, but they're not M7's and aren't really $1000 speakers.

Just checked it out. Now that's an auction result...wow!!!
I was amazed at that closing price as well, and have to think there was something going on there. I think the M3's are very nice speakers, but they're not M7's and aren't really $1000 speakers.
I wouldn't call them $1,000 speakers as a buyer, but I could make an argument for that price as a seller, haha. It's all in the eye of the beholder, I suppose, because that M1 center channel on eBay was worth $300 to someone...it was me...I'm glad others may have passed on it.

Great collection!

How many levels above the M7's are the M9's? Also, do you get a different tonal quality/balance with the M9's being ported vs the sealed M7's?

What did the M3s go for?
I sold mine and was shocked what they got bid up too. They were pretty good, but Id rather have the M7s for that amount!

Back
Top Bottom