Sony SS M3s ... Man These Are Nice Little Speakers!

Vinylcafe

Linvin' the Dream
I have read a lot about these over the years, and finally picked some up for a couple hundred bucks.
Boy, are they good.
After experimentation with positioning of speakers and listener, and a little help from a dialed in sub, the sound is way better than it should be for the price.
Great sound!
Imaging, sound stage, resolution, seemless driver integration. Very engaging, honest sound with no fatigue.
My AR-9s are lonely on the sidelines.
These things just blow me away.
Believe what you read, it just needs some experimentation with height, positioning, etc.
Now to find some M 7s!

Wow, glad to read that! I have 4 pair of Sony APM ES speakers, love them. I use 5 in a high res surround setup. Just today I picked up an SVS SB12 NSD to match up with them, sounding really good, super accurate. I plan to post a review when the sub is broken in some.

I have a pair of M3's too - agree they're really nice sounding bookshelf speakers. The M7's are definitely worth pursuing.

Have owned a pair for about 5yrs and they still impress me. The m7s are sidelined because with a sub, the m3s sound better in my listening space.

I didnt like them. without a sub woofer the bass is very weak and you just end up with distortion. they are nice for mids and highs but id rather a full range speaker if im paying that much. ads l520 would blow it away for a fraction of the cost.

I didnt like them. without a sub woofer the bass is very weak and you just end up with distortion. they are nice for mids and highs but id rather a full range speaker if im paying that much. ads l520 would blow it away for a fraction of the cost.

I found it also depends what you pair them with. Was using a Sony receiver and they sounded a bit lean, but using a Concept 5.5 now and they sound quite a bit better to me. Sure, they're sealed bookshelves, so won't provide deep bass, but for a couple of hundred $'s, they're hard to beat and used subs are pretty cheap these days.

I have always loved the shape of those. As to the sound, it IS surprising that some of the SONY product sounds this good. I picked up a pair of SS-TL5s locally from CL. I was impressed with their balanced sound. It was my first experience with transmission line speakers. I have nowhere to add them, but I do rotate them in every now and then. You made a nice find.

I found it also depends what you pair them with. Was using a Sony receiver and they sounded a bit lean, but using a Concept 5.5 now and they sound quite a bit better to me. Sure, they're sealed bookshelves, so won't provide deep bass, but for a couple of hundred $'s, they're hard to beat and used subs are pretty cheap these days.

I have paired them with a number of amps, 4 to be exact.
They seem to really like tubes.
Citation II was the best.
Open and airy compared to solid state.

I have paired them with a number of amps, 4 to be exact.
They seem to really like tubes.
Citation II was the best.
Open and airy compared to solid state.

I haven't tried tubes yet. I only have a Dynaco ST-70 left, tube-wise, and I did try those with my SS-M7's, but never tried them with the SS-M3's. Eventually, I'd like to get a tube pre again, but not in a big hurry.

I had a pair, then we moved and they no longer had a space. Sold them. Bought them back. Then just sold them this winter. Wonderful speakers. Glad you like them!

I had a pair, then we moved and they no longer had a space. Sold them. Bought them back. Then just sold them this winter. Wonderful speakers. Glad you like them!

All those ADS and you sold the M3's? I could easily sacrifie any of my ADS or all of them before I'd sell the Sony.

Back
Top Bottom