Sony SS-M7, M3 and center--DC CL

Hmmmm, center channel has only one woofer, is that ok for home theater purpose ?

That's the was it was designed. I hear it sounds great.

I'm fighting the urge to drive to D.C... I already have a pair of SS-M7's, and had the M3's before. A complete HT of these would be incredible. If there was an M9 I would be in the car already.

That's the was it was designed. I hear it sounds great.

I'm fighting the urge to drive to D.C... I already have a pair of SS-M7's, and had the M3's before. A complete HT of these would be incredible. If there was an M9 I would be in the car already.

Note that these are SS-M7A's, which have the SS-M9 tweeter. They are more extended in the highs vs the SS-M7's. I own a pair of SS-M7's and a single SS-M7A, and I swapped in the 7A once to see how different they were in sound. Based on my experience, you get quite a bit more treble energy on the 7A's. Some of that may have been due to voulume (7A is spec'd at 6ohms and 7 at 8 ohms), but I do think the updated tweeter is less rolled off in any case.

Price is definitely fair. Realistically, the M7A's probably would go for $800+ alone, the M3's for $300/400, so it's like getting the center channel and M7's stands for free. Both speakers have definitely sold for more as well, but I think you could resell at the prices I mentioned pretty easily.

Note that these are SS-M7A's, which have the SS-M9 tweeter. They are more extended in the highs vs the SS-M7's. I own a pair of SS-M7's and a single SS-M7A, and I swapped in the 7A once to see how different they were in sound. Based on my experience, you get quite a bit more treble energy on the 7A's. Some of that may have been due to voulume (7A is spec'd at 6ohms and 7 at 8 ohms), but I do think the updated tweeter is less rolled off in any case.

Price is definitely fair. Realistically, the M7A's probably would go for $800+ alone, the M3's for $300/400, so it's like getting the center channel and M7's stands for free. Both speakers have definitely sold for more as well, but I think you could resell at the prices I mentioned pretty easily.

Very interesting, I never knew there was any difference in the two versions other than a slightly different woofer (concave vs convex dustcap).
I have the M7a's and had the M7's (with beat up cabinets so I sold them) but never hooked them up side by side.
I had the M3's before too, I sold them for $650 but that was with the stands. I sold them because I figured I'd never find a center channel. I almost just made a center with parts but never broke suction and did it..

Back
Top Bottom