Sony SS-M9 driver identification

tyella

I'm working on a pair of Sony SS-M9 speakers. These are absolute beasts at 120+ pounds each.

Both midranges and one woofer are out, as in no continuity. I assume the voicecoils are fried, as there is significant rub. Presumably they were played way too loud, or well into clipping.

Here is one of the midranges. It is made in Norway, so I assume it's a SEAS? Anyone have a guess as to which driver it is?
IMG_20181111_174845188.jpg IMG_20181111_174858061.jpg

And here is the woofer. It's an 8 incher made in Denmark, so presumably a Vifa/Scanspeak.
IMG_20181111_174745280.jpg

Any help identifying these would be much appreciated, as Sony won't be any help.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20181111_170909367.jpg
    IMG_20181111_170909367.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 32
Midrange looks like a SEAS H143 or a variant thereof; same driver used in some Snell speakers. https://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/seas-mca11fc-h143-08-snell-type-a-iii-midrange.html

The woofer is likely from the Peerless side of the SEAS/Vifa/Peerless family that existed at that time. Those speakers use the Peerless wide angle dome tweeters, which were one of my favorites back in the day; very smooth sounding tweeter.

That has the same frame, for sure! I found some other SEAS mids/woofers in the same frame. I'm hoping to get a little more specific with the parameters/measurements. With both not working, it's tough to measure resistance, etc.

Here's some stuff copied from the SEAS website:
14 cm woofers

Miller Sound might be able to repair the drivers and if takes them apart it would
be good to know the VC wind height DCR etc.

The woofer frame looks like Vifa or SEAS but the dust cap looks like Vifa from what I remember.
Is there a part number on the rubber edge?
Is the back plate raised or not?
Is the cone paper or poly, hard to tell from the picture.
Looks like a P21 type.

Oh, and it feels like a poly cone. Not sure what a "raised backplate" is, but here is a pic. There are ridges:
IMG_20181112_223801829.jpg

Interestingly, this little guy has 8 screw holes. All of the comparable ones I've seen have just 6.

for reference, the SR stamping on the rubber surrounds doesn't signify anything. just size for the rubber itself.

RE: the link, I sold off a single Vandersteen 2ci woofer a year ago. I wish I'd held on to it now!

As for budget, I'm not sure. I'm repairing these for someone else. I have a feeling that $400 for repair/replacement of the 3 drivers and another $100 for crossover work might be too much. Those are my current rough estimates, anyway. I'll have to check in with them and see. These potentially wonderful speakers may end up parted out.

Back
Top Bottom