Sony SSU 4000 speakers

Butch65

came across 2 Sony SSU 4000 speakers at flea market today. Great shape but did not buy They are asking 250 for the pair. Any idea what I should pay?

There was a pair on eBay for $395 which didn't sell. They are relatively unknown so there isn't much of a market for them.
$150?

Thanks. I am thinking about attaching them to a magnavox console wth radio and micromatic TT. Any thoughts about that match? I do not know the watt per channel on the console and might need an amp?

They are high end speakers and probably need a lot of power. Much more power than a Magnavox has. Hopefully you could find a Marantz receiver or Sony ES amp to drive them.
I don't know much about those speakers and maybe somebody more knowledgeable will chime in.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look for an amp. Can I use a modern amp and run the external Jack off the magnavox to the amp
and from the amp to the speakers?

http://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2015/11/sony-ssu-4000.html?m=1

It's not the best possible match for your console, but those speakers will certainly work. And yeah, you could probably use the console output as an input for a different amp, but there's not really much point to it. Just plug a turntable (or whatever) directly into the best amp you have hooked up directly to your speakers for the cleanest sound..

Console's typically aren't the best starting point to build a system. And Magnavox is arguably more show than go. Nice looking speakers though!

Appreciate the advice. Will get the speakers and hook them up and see what happens. I like the console because the changer works flawlessly. Could use better sound though. It does not have the correct cartridge and fixing that with these speakers may turn out ok.

Back
Top Bottom