Sony STR 4800SD

Thorough cleaning and now she's all set to go, found a new 12V5W bulb for the signal strength/tuning lights and they glow nicely, seems as though the green tint on the tuner screen has faded where it is close to the light, interesting. A couple pots are bent but they turn smoothly. Also the volume pot needs to be turned sometimes so that both channels get equal volume, i'm sure i just need to keep spinning it until it's fully cleaned. Not bad for 20 bones and a little elbow grease :)

looks great, don't they?

PS; if you are missing a bottle of whiskey, it's under your desk :D

looks great, don't they?

PS; if you are missing a bottle of whiskey, it's under your desk :D

It's actually capt. Morgan 100 proof, and I know exactly where it is haha :beer:

and yeah these things look great, excellent styling. On reflection I think the tuner is not faded, one side has a green bulb (which I think is stock) and the other has a yellow one. I think that's why the left side looks lighter. Is there translucent green paint you can use to make the bulb look like it's supposed to?

Good question. All bulbs of my ST-5950SD work fine so I never actually checked that out. I was given a ST-3950 for spare parts with it, I'll check it out later this week/weekend. But I guess you can always put some green paint on it.

Actually, it would be very good to know if somebody knows where we could get those bulbs, hence pictures up please.

Heavy rum, he ? How do you get those smileys in your post?

Last edited:
I just picked one of these up for $60 and hooked it in to some Minimus 7's and I'm very impressed. My unit is kind of a survivor. Most of the lights are out, so you know it's seen some hours, and there's some damage to the particle board on the sides. It also needs some deoxit, as the channels are finnicky, but I've already identified the offending tape switch.
I bought it for more of a near-field set up and I'm really pleased with it. The Audio Comp section is fun to play with. It basically has 4 sections where most receivers have a loudness on/off switch. I find the "presence" and "low" sections offer a lot of Dynamics where most loud switches get boomy and have too much bass. I'm especially impressed with how it sounds after all it appears to have been through. I'd definitely snatch up one of it's bigger brothers if I saw it.

I have a STR 5800 and I really like it. The only bad thing about it are the totally crappy end panels as you have noticed. An AK member made solid walnut end panels for mine that look great.

20181207_110124.jpg

Yeah, another day in and I'm ready to say the alternate sections between loudness on and off, called "presence" and "low" make this thing a real sweetheart for near fields. You're obviously not powering magneplanars with this guy at 35 WPC, but if you're looking for something really nice for a quieter listening area, you could do a lot worse. Those setting makes this thing super easy to dial in. This unit would be perfect for someone just getting into vintage hifi who doesn't have a ton of money to blow on speakers just yet. So yes, you, random googler, wondering whether or not you might like this unit despite its age, go for it. You can pick up a pair of Minimus 7's for $20-50 and having something that will make your apartment sound nice without blasting out the neighbors, and I imagine they'd make a lot of smaller speakers sound way better than they used to.... Now to breakout the deoxit and get that flaky channel sorted! I think next up is to hook this up to the Time Windows to see how it does with a more demanding speaker.

Yeah, another day in and I'm ready to say the alternate sections between loudness on and off, called "presence" and "low" make this thing a real sweetheart for near fields. You're obviously not powering magneplanars with this guy at 35 WPC, but if you're looking for something really nice for a quieter listening area, you could do a lot worse. Those setting makes this thing super easy to dial in. This unit would be perfect for someone just getting into vintage hifi who doesn't have a ton of money to blow on speakers just yet. So yes, you, random googler, wondering whether or not you might like this unit despite its age, go for it. You can pick up a pair of Minimus 7's for $20-50 and having something that will make your apartment sound nice without blasting out the neighbors, and I imagine they'd make a lot of smaller speakers sound way better than they used to.... Now to breakout the deoxit and get that flaky channel sorted! I think next up is to hook this up to the Time Windows to see how it does with a more demanding speaker.

My 5800 does not like 4 ohm loads. At the Time Windows 4 ohm?

My 5800 does not like 4 ohm loads. At the Time Windows 4 ohm?
Thanks for the heads up. The Tee Dubs are 8 ohms. I'm not realistically hopeful that at 89DB sensitivity and using 35 WPC to push 8 drivers is going to be magic, but we'll find out whenever I get around to it.

Thanks for the heads up. The Tee Dubs are 8 ohms. I'm not realistically hopeful that at 89DB sensitivity and using 35 WPC to push 8 drivers is going to be magic, but we'll find out whenever I get around to it.

You will be a amazed at how good it sounds and how loud it gets.

Back
Top Bottom