1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Sony STR 7065 - AM/FM Issues

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by prubino, Jan 12, 2018.

1. prubino

prubino New Member

Any help on this would be appreciated. I picked up a Sony STR 7065 receiver that was in need of a good cleaning and deoxit bath.

After completing this, the receiver is physically in good condition, and all functions tested as working with one exception. The FM reception only pulls in stations from around 101fM and up on the dial. Aything below this comes in as just static. It is the same for AM reception as well at the exact same spot on the reception dial.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Tom B

Tom B AK Subscriber Subscriber

What does "Good Cleaning and deoxit bath" mean? How did you clean the tuner section?? did you spray anything on the board or into the tuning Capacitor?? If you sprayed, what did you use??

3. prubino

prubino New Member

I used Deoxit only on the potentiometers and short bursts of canned air to clean out some of the dust.

4. NAD80

NAD80 Super Member

5. prubino

prubino New Member

NAD80 . . . Thanks!

6. dshoaf

dshoaf That high voltage buzz Subscriber

Yep, you local oscillator stops working. That's the technical term for the part of the tuner that causes you to hear different stations as you tune across the dial. On this Sony, it is likely that the part of that moving capacitor with the metal blades that mesh into each other is the root cause. In the linked procedure to clean them, you'll be using some DeOxit to clean the fingers at the pivot point where the electrical connections are made to those blades.

That Sony is one of all-time favorite receivers from the mid-70s. Treat it well and it will serve for many more years.

Cheers,

David

Please register to disable this ad.

7. dr*audio

dr*audio Fish fingers and custard! Subscriber

8. prubino

prubino New Member

OK . . . I followed the link from dr*audio. I used and some a universal contact cleaner from Rawn that mentioned it was non-residue cleaner. I applied some DeoxIT Fader F100 and that seems to have completed the fix. I am now getting reception across the dial for both AM and FM channels.

Thanks for all the feedbaxck!