Sony STR-7065 in the house

Beautiful receiver - nice find! Nice beefy interior too.

I wonder what it would cost to build a receiver like that today? I mean just like that - no substitutions or updates. $2000 - $3000?

I started out with a Sherwood S-7900. It was a good receiver, nothing wrong with it, but I lusted after a Marantz 2270. My brother has a 2230 that I really liked. So when I could afford it I traded the Sherwood for the 2270. Took it home and I hated it! As much as I wanted to like it, it sounded too "transistorized". I went back to Pacific Stereo and they exchanged it for the Sony STR-7065. I loved that, unit I built a Dynaco Pat-5, FM-5 and Stereo 400. The difference was night and day. But the 7065 was very good for what it was.

I am rebuilding its little brother/sister, the 7055 right now.
The build quality is about as good as it gets.
Even Alps were building better switches then; heavier gauge everything.
You read a lot about build quality with this series, but one should really see it to appreciate it.
Way to go Sony, can only imagine what the costs woud be today.
Never mind the classic looks and the beautiful wooden case.
Way under the radar as far as price goes.

I have a 7065 many years, and he can really get the best out of the loudspeakers, sound very pleasant and engaging with powerful bass, without the use of loudness
This was very apparent having recently brought home a Sony that I bought off CL as mine is being repaired and needing sounds in the garage. Granted it's an el cheapo $99 retail but "lucky me" got it for $20. Bass is poofy without any depth or authority and overall the sound is thin, thin. Don't want to be too harsh so I'd recommend it for $20.

But it'll do in a pinch and will promptly be given away once I have my Sony back and throw the Realistic 2100D back in the garage.

Last edited:
This was very apparent having recently brought home a Sony that I bought off CL as mine is being repaired and needing sounds in the garage. Granted it's an el cheapo $99 retail but "lucky me" got it for $20. Bass is poofy without any depth or authority and overall the sound is thin, thin. Don't want to be too harsh so I'd recommend it for $20.

But it'll do in a pinch and will promptly be given away once I have my Sony back and throw the Realistic 2100D back in the garage.

Sounds like you are experiencing a modern Sony. Back in the 70s they were one of the big ones! Build quality was excellent and they are one of the under the radar quality finds you can get out there, along with Hitachi, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, and others. I've had a 7045 in the past and just got another one last week! Lots of clean bass for your average speaker.

Sounds like you are experiencing a modern Sony. Back in the 70s they were one of the big ones! Build quality was excellent and they are one of the under the radar quality finds you can get out there, along with Hitachi, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, and others. I've had a 7045 in the past and just got another one last week! Lots of clean bass for your average speaker.
Yes. It's the Sony STR dh 130. HOW it gets 4-5 stars online is beyond me. I can see 2, maybe. I'm fortunate to have a new 7045 in the bedroom and a 7055 being repaired & restored. Both will never leave this house. I absolutely lucked out on both models.

I own two of these STR 7065 receivers. They are superb. I remember when I was quite young, I took my Sony to a McIntosh clinic in Houston. The Mc clinic technician benched the Sony and commented that it exceeded its full FTC power rating, both channels driven, within spec, which was pretty rare for a non McIntosh component. To this day, I'm impressed by the use of actual glass for the dial panel, materials through out and the fact that the tuner still works well across the dial without needing realignment (most of my other tuners have not faired so well).

Yes. It's the Sony STR dh 130. HOW it gets 4-5 stars online is beyond me. I can see 2, maybe.
The competition is an i-thingy so 4-5 stars today is probably about right. Folks always rate crap they buy higher than it deserves, cause they own it. Apparent here on AK, too when asking folks always like to list what they own. example $2500 budget, what table...fully serviced Dual 1219 or some model, I don't think so.

Yes, the older Sonys would be the ones to keep and repair/rebuild as needed vs, the scrap heap for the newer stuff when it dies.

I own two of these STR 7065 receivers. They are superb. I remember when I was quite young, I took my Sony to a McIntosh clinic in Houston. The Mc clinic technician benched the Sony and commented that it exceeded its full FTC power rating, both channels driven, within spec, which was pretty rare for a non McIntosh component. To this day, I'm impressed by the use of actual glass for the dial panel, materials through out and the fact that the tuner still works well across the dial without needing realignment (most of my other tuners have not faired so well).

This must have been in 1975 or later that you had the unit tested as the FTC ruling was from Nov 1974 and the Sony is from earlier and although it provided the specs needed to be used for the FTC ruling it also provided other specs, too in the early documents. FTC did away with the extra ways of specifying power. I would expect the unit to meet the specs, though. Not meeting specs would be a bad thing for business. Makes the 7065 a fine receiver and that sound. They have good sound quality. My first system has a major chunk of Sony electronics.

Just picked up one of these in great working condition all original, and works with no major issues.

What's a ballpark to service/recap this sucker? it's crazy inside with the excess wires, tightness, etc.

Hey Steez51. Beautiful unit!

For what it's worth, I have a super-pristine STR 7055A, and like yours in your initial picture, the green radio dial tint was washed out on one side. I found this link on AK (scroll down to the 3rd poster with the 7065) and using his method, my dial came out equally green as the metre above, although a bit dimmer. I changed to LEDs and (bent the contacts a bit) and now it looks just like his picture - metre and dial the same green & brightness.

Last edited:
Addendum: My STR-7055A currently does duty as my TV/movie amplifier, and is on the bottom of the TV cabinet. I managed a 'less than perfect' picture to show the revived green dial:

STR2.jpg

I just got one of these locally on Craigslist for $140 in pretty good shape. At first listen I was blown away by how good it sounded compared to my Emotiva setup. Then after listening a little closer I noticed some distortion out of the left speaker, so I cleaned the pots and switches, and still had the problem. Plugged it into my amp using the “Separate” mode, and didn’t hear the distortion. I plugged my preamp into it in the same mode, and the distortion was back.
Finally I tried to connect the speakers to Speaker B and the distortion seemed to almost go away, but there’s no question the right channel sounds better. For what it’s worth, it’s the 7065A model. Even with this issue, I still feel it sounds better than my Emotiva setup. What should I expect to pay to get it service?

I sold them back in the day at Dixie HiFi Indianapolis. It was the best sounding receiver on the shelf regardless of power!

I have a 7055 and I don't think it's ever been worked on. It needs some new lamps and the FM tuner needle is frozen, other than that it still sounds fine.

Back
Top Bottom