Sony STR-7065 in the house

Just got mine back from a servicing, and still works great. The original poster mentioned the Stereo light being out. The tech that serviced mine showed me that the light only goes on when in the FM mode and the signal is dialed into a station, then the light goes on. Cost me $170 to get serviced putting me at $310 for the receiver, so far sounds more than worth it.

I have a STR-7055 that I have had for a few months now. Love it like I did back in the day. There is now a STR-7065 for sale on CL that I have been debating on buying but I think his price of $250.00 is a bit high as I paid $135.00 for the 7055 with a pair of matching 8' 2 way Sony speakers. Any comments?

37E58B38-D733-4330-889E-5F867783061C.jpeg I just have to comment on old Sony threads. I started with a STR 6055, I bought another cause it was cheaper, and turned that onto a friend running some large Advents cause I didn’t need two....I then picked up a perfect 7045 in beautiful shape with wood which is really a 6055, but with small changes for the next model year. (Now I have two again). From an aesthetic point I really like the 60 series dial glass, which is repeated in the 7045. I almost bought a 6065 recently but resisted cause ‘what would I do with it?” But I did respond to a CL ad for a TA-1120, and it sounds better than it has a right to after 50 years. Clean highs, good bass..Oh my. It’s currently pushing B&Ws sometimes as an integrated and sometimes as a pre with a Citation II, a really nice combo. Not sure what the point of all this is except maybe be careful!

I have a STR-7055 that I have had for a few months now. Love it like I did back in the day. There is now a STR-7065 for sale on CL that I have been debating on buying but I think his price of $250.00 is a bit high as I paid $135.00 for the 7055 with a pair of matching 8' 2 way Sony speakers. Any comments?

The 7065 has more power, output for a third set of speakers, and a better tuner. If you are happy with what you have, the $250 would be better spent elsewhere. I found this little tidbit on TheVintageKnob.org about the 7055.
http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-STR-7055.html

I won ebay auction of 7065 yesterday for $200 in mint condition. Hope I didn't pay too much, I am very excited. It will be paired with Kenwood 2070 turntable.
Now I am hunting for vintage bookshelf speakers, any recommendation?

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Won't ebay auction of 7065 yesterday for $200 in mint condition. Hope I didn't pay too much, I am very excited. It will be paired with Kenwood 2070 turntable.
Now I am hunting for vintage bookshelf speakers, any recommendation?

KLH Model 17s would be a perfect match. Many 70's dorm rooms had such a layout.

Cheers,

David

The STR-7065 sold before I had a chance to look at it. I bought another STR-7055 about a week ago. It is in as nice of condition as the first one. These things are addicting, I have my eye on another one. The nice thing about them is the pre out-main in, they make a nice preamp in my opinion. I am using both of mine now as preamps with 120 wpc power amps. The STR-V4 I bought was a disappointment, I am going to sell it and get the other STR-7055 I have my eye on.

Listening to my 7055 right now as I read this. Got it new in '73 and have had it since.
Recent recap, new bulbs and deoxit and it's looking like new ...and sounding maybe even a little better than new. (Silmic IIs in the signal path and upped the filter caps to 6800 uF.)

Only repair work prior to this, in the 45 years I've owned it, was replacing the power switch a couple of times. I have a pair of spares on hand, but went ahead and did the triac mod when I was doing the other work.

Playing it through a pair of Epicure 20s, which I've also had since new.

(Stereo light?? ....See my avatar...)

I have an STR7065 and had it along with a Marantz 2270. Circa 2016, last time I tested, the Sony made full rate power across the bandwidth and the tuner was excellent in both AM and FM. The phono stage was also very good. The Marantz required a power supply recap and a tuner realignment. Even with this, the Sony tested better without a rebuild and was sonically quieter and more transparent with no harshness. Both are great legacy pieces but the Sony appears better made and has aged very well. Note, I purchased a second STR7065 and it has has needed no work other than a cleaning and bulb replacement. These are rock solid.

I don't own an STR7065 but would like to. In regards to Sony reliability l have also found the same when compared to most other brands from the same era.

Resurrecting this thread, as there is one of these locally for $200 asking. I am thinking of offering $150 and see where it goes, once I get some pics of it turned on. Reading everyone's comments here has me very interested in this piece.

It's a great piece.
If you can get it for $150.00 I think you'd be doing well.
At this age, a piece like this would greatly benefit from a recap.

At least cleaning of pots and switches.
I am just starting to rebuild a 7065a.

They are beautiful.

It's a great piece.
If you can get it for $150.00 I think you'd be doing well.
At this age, a piece like this would greatly benefit from a recap.

At least cleaning of pots and switches.
I am just starting to rebuild a 7065a.

They are beautiful.

Thanks for the reply. It is a really good looking unit. I messaged the guy, and turns out he is selling for a friend and there is apparently an input that is not working, he is not sure which but said it was on the lower left, which would be one of the phonos. I will get his friend's number tomorrow. I am already with one piece in the shop - not sure I want another one, and I don't know anything about fixing electronics myself, so I'd have to see what the recap would cost if needed. I can clean em up nice though and definitely cool with cleaning pots, etc.

I have a 7045 that was NIB that I had recapped and fully restored. A beautiful piece of gear. I love everything from the scalloped aluminum knobs to the weight of the tuning knob. Sound is very powerful and has weight behind it meaning it's not thin.
Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_20160901_003723.jpg
    IMG_20160901_003723.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 14
I have a 7045 that was NIB that I had recapped and fully restored. A beautiful piece of gear. I love everything from the scalloped aluminum knobs to the weight of the tuning knob. Sound is very powerful and has weight behind it meaning it's not thin.
Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. NIB and it needed recapping... Is that normal course on a piece that old? Do you mind me asking what that cost was?

Back
Top Bottom