Sony STR-DE945 - No power issue.

Chris Rist

This is not a very common system. But we had this Sony STR-DE945 from 2001. About a few years after getting it, the system would no longer power up if you press the power button. The remote that it came with was the only way to power it up, but after a year of only using it. It too gave the ghost and no longer works. After years on sitting on our shelf collecting dust we decided to plug it in, and the system went into demo mode. And the only way to get out of demo mode was to press the power button (which no longer works). Taking the system apart I got to the front panel board and noticed that the pins to the power board was loose, I tilted the power board just slightly and depressed the bottom and the system powered on just fine. I decide to re solder the pins hoping that fixed the issue. It didn't, in fact no matter how much I try the system will no longer power on. Not even a click. I checked fuses, the main board, the power supply and everything else, to no avail. (Remember that the system did work) so now I'm at a road block. Anyone willing to help me out. (I did replace the receiver with a brand new one). I just want to see if I could bring life back to the old one instead of throwing it away. Thanks.

Check out where you resoldered. You could have shorted something somewhere. Also, if you did inadvertently or accidentally short something, check all your fuses.

I redid all my soldering, checked for shorts. And double checked my welds. I did a bypass (which ignores the display board) and sent a power on signal through the ribbon cable and I did hear the system click on with it's normal amp hum and even the speakers relay kicked on too. But putting everything back together still no luck, I even replaced the power button board with one that works and still no luck. So it's now narrowed down to the display board.

Back
Top Bottom