Sony STR-V2

rathern0tsay

Hi again, ok, so I have set aside the Harman Kardon for now and received my Sony STR-v2. It's in really great shape, all the lamps work, tuner works (though I did have to adjust the VCO trimmer pot to get it to go into stereo. I have cleaned all the controls, there really aren't that many, should I clean them more? I have an issue where the right channel plays at the same volume as the left, but there is no bass whatsoever coming from that channel. Could it be a blown cap, or resister causing this? I haven't been able to locate a service manual for it. If I can make these things work, my wife won't be so grumbly about having multiples lying about. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

First, read this AK thread from the Tuner forum on cleaning the FM tuner's variable capacitor. This will account for the noise you're hearing as you go up/down the FM band.

On the lack of bass on one channel, work the switches well. IIRC, the V2 was the bottom of the line receiver so it will not have many. It isn't a blown cap/resistor. It is most likely a mechanical problem (switch, pot, etc) and not electrical.

Cheers,

David

First, read this AK thread from the Tuner forum on cleaning the FM tuner's variable capacitor. This will account for the noise you're hearing as you go up/down the FM band.

On the lack of bass on one channel, work the switches well. IIRC, the V2 was the bottom of the line receiver so it will not have many. It isn't a blown cap/resistor. It is most likely a mechanical problem (switch, pot, etc) and not electrical.

Cheers,

David

Thanks for the info! Actually I found out what the problem was. One woofer on my B&W speakers was seized up, and eventually popped with smoke and everything. Order another woofer to replace it. Again, thank you for the reply.

That's a red flag, actually. If the woofer was working prior to using the V2, then there could, indeed, be something wrong with the power amp section of the receiver. Do not hook any other speakers up to it until you've confirmed that there's no DC Offset on either channel. Find sticky theads here at AK on that topic.

I can assure you that smoke from a speaker is not the root cause - it was a symptom, however.

Cheers,

David

That's a red flag, actually. If the woofer was working prior to using the V2, then there could, indeed, be something wrong with the power amp section of the receiver. Do not hook any other speakers up to it until you've confirmed that there's no DC Offset on either channel. Find sticky theads here at AK on that topic.

I can assure you that smoke from a speaker is not the root cause - it was a symptom, however.

Cheers,

David
Will do! Thanks David!

Back
Top Bottom