Sony STR-V4 Lights On sometimes, Off sometimes?

soccardz

Looking for some advice on what could be the problem. Just bought a Sony STR-V4 at a garage sale for $40. It was super clean with a great sound. I was planning on selling it, but when I powered it up to take some pictures I noticed that the tuner & dial lights went off after awhile. The stereo tuner light came on when the FM tuner hit a stereo station. When I turn it on, the lights might come on or they might not. By the way; after reading about this unit on the forums here, I am reconsidering my decision to sell it.

Welcome to AK. Found the service manual for the sony. HiFiEngine.com Just register and download for free.https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/str-v4l.shtml Could be a bad solder connection. You would have to open it up and look at it. The dial and meter lights are driven by a separate winding (blue wires) off the transformer. One resistor and fuse, with the 4 bulbs is all that is in the circuit. Hope this helps.

Welcome to AK. Found the service manual for the sony. HiFiEngine.com Just register and download for free.https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/str-v4l.shtml Could be a bad solder connection. You would have to open it up and look at it. The dial and meter lights are driven by a separate winding (blue wires) off the transformer. One resistor and fuse, with the 4 bulbs is all that is in the circuit. Hope this helps.
Thanks so much, I'll have a look when I can (Jury duty, etc.)

Before I started to look for the source of my light issue, I had some speakers I wanted to test. There was an initial static like pop when I powered up the amp. Also, as I turned the tuner knob there were loud intermittent pops until a station was found. As long as the station was tuned in, no pops. I was thinking that perhaps cleaning the pots might solve the problem. Then I tried the turntable. Loud intermittent pops with no rhyme or reason when they would occur. If someone has had the same problem or has some ideas of the cause, I would sure like to hear from them. This is such a clean looking amp/turner with a great sound. Trying to make up my mind to try to fix it or sell 'as is'.

Hi,

Perhaps someone can help me with a lamp problem that I have on a Sony STR-V4L that I recently acquired (which, other than the lamps, works perfectly).
Basically none of the four dial and meter lamps work - all of the bulbs are blown. Now, before I forked out on a replacement set, (where can you get these in the UK?), I thought that I would use a dummy test bulb to check that the circuitary was okay, but unfortunately something is wrong and the test lamp does not light.

My understanding of electronics is absolutely minimal, so please bear with me. The bulbs are all 8v 300ma, and I understand that they are powered by a very simple, separate circuit. I measured the volatge (DC) between the blue wires and earth expecting to see a result of 8 volts, but it is actually 10 volts - is that why the bulbs have blown? Also, as mentioned above, the test lamp does not light up, BUT DOES IF I SHORT THE WHITE WIRE (FROM THE BULB HOLDER) TO EARTH! Why should this be? The fuse and the single resistor in the lamp circuit appear to be okay.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

If you look at the attached schematic, they put two bulbs in series, so if one of them blows, the other one won't light up. If you're putting your test bulb in series with a burned out bulb, you'll not get it to light. The white wire you mention grounding must be the common terminal between the bulbs, thus completing the circuit (but only for the bulb that connects to the supply voltage.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-01 180855.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 180855.png
    175 KB · Views: 9
If you look at the attached schematic, they put two bulbs in series, so if one of them blows, the other one won't light up. If you're putting your test bulb in series with a burned out bulb, you'll not get it to light. The white wire you mention grounding must be the common terminal between the bulbs, thus completing the circuit (but only for the bulb that connects to the supply voltage.

Brilliant! Using two test bulbs worked for the dial lamps, so I presume that replacing both meter bulbs will work as well. Strange design? - good job that car headlights aren't wired in the same way. :)

Many, many thanks

Yeah, putting lights in series creates confusion whenever a bulb burns out. Did you test to see if any of your bulbs were still good?
I have a Yamaha receiver that has the same setup, and the way they wire them creates even more confusion, but that's a story for another day. I'm glad this worked for you.

Back
Top Bottom