Sony STR V4 vs. Sony STR 7065

IraGress

Just for posterity-
I've been running a Sony STR V4 for a while. I absolutely love it. It makes old classic songs sound new, as it clearly separates each instrument and puts you in the front row, where you can hear every little living detail.
The STR v4 is positively glorious.
And don't be put off by the fact that it's one of the babies of a line, the v5, and v6 and the ridiculous, purely peacocking V7 being more powerful. The v4 is built a bit better than it's brutish more powerful siblings, giving majestic clarity and punchy base you can feel in the floor even at conversational volume. It is also powerful enough to rattle every window in my house. The V4 is exquisite in sound and ample in power for the average home owner, believe me. Anything above the V4 is going to lack nuance and bring the cops to your door while doing it.
On to the 7065.
My God this thing is sexy. It has been touted as the pinnacle of the sorely underestimated Sony brilliance, in sound as well as aesthetics.
So I bought one.
Well frankly, you can forget the punchy bass, clarity, and separation at low volume that I have come to expect from my V4.
BUT,... much like an old Eldorado, this bad boy just doesn't hit it's stride until it's cruising at about 85mph.
It's not until you crank this primitive beast up that it truly shines.
It handles high volume levels with effortless resplendence.
My V4 is sweeter than wine at low volume and still exquisite at volumes that rattle my windows, but if you want to tempt the cops while rocking your frickin' face off, the 7065 is the way to go.
I also suspect it will be very nice for classical music, like Holst's The Planets.
But then so would the V4.
Bottom line- both receivers are absolutely glorious, but the V4 rocks better at lower volume, and rocks HARD turned up too, but the 7065 seems built to fall asleep to some nice classical or jazz, then blow yer frickin wig off at a kegger, with little in between.
I'm glad I have both. As a team they cover all my bases.

Last edited:
I know what you mean about the 7065. Pick one up and it's " Why on God's green earth does a 65wpc receiver weigh this much".
It does seem like it could play VERY loudly without breaking a sweat. Turn it up a little and it seems to want more.

I know what you mean about the 7065. Pick one up and it's " Why on God's green earth does a 65wpc receiver weigh this much".
It does seem like it could play VERY loudly without breaking a sweat. Turn it up a little and it seems to want more.
MOTHER of CRAP, no JOKE! I'm used to heavy vintage amps and all, but this 7065 is truly unbelievable. I just had to laugh. I swear it would weigh less if it was carved out of granite.
Also, my critique of it's sound quality may have been a tad premature. The more I listen to it the more disappointed I am with it's lack of crisp punchy clarity.
Maybe it would do better with speakers more suited to it, Idk.
It's a beautiful brute that lacks finesse.
I'll probably just buy an equalizer for it and see if I can't carve the sound into shape.
Like Captain Kirk, it's still a great performer. It just needs a girdle.

Sony str 7065

You are right. I have a Sony str 7065, despite the strong and vigorou sound, seems kind of dull, so that to enhance the treble control needs to be in 3/4 of its total range. This receiver has a few years more than the newest line (V4, V6, V7) and in my case the exchange of capacitors, gave new life and separation on the instruments, and sound more brighter.
Certainly better than some modern integrated as NAD 352, which compared to the Sony has a dull sound and separation. .Enjoy !!!!!

:tresbon::thmbsp:

Update- I guess I should have sampled more than just the radio before besmirching the mid-volume sound quality of the STR-7065.
I finally got around to hooking up a cassette deck to it. (Sony, of course, with the powerful ferrite Kung Fu)
I was stunned. The crisp clarity and punch nearly doubled.
Same with albums and CDs.
With a little more research I found out the 7065s had a common problem with FM.
I didn't file the technical details in my brain as my memory is nearly full, but I believe it was just a stereophonic failure.
And that's exactly what it sounds like. FM is a bit muddy compared to all other inputs, as if it's just not coming in in stereo.
Personally, this doesn't bother me a bit, since I rarely listen to the radio. Plus, it really doesn't sound bad at all. It's just that records, tapes & CDs sound better.
I still have to say my V4 is the superior receiver, but if you come across an affordable 7065 buy it. It's no slouch. And that styling! Spartan and businesslike yet rich with elegant simplicity. Meeeowww!

If you want the real earlier contenders go back to the STR 6200 or STR 6120 or better, yet the STR 6060.

I had the STR6065 likes it better than a V6 and the STR 7065. The STR 6120 was bettered by my STR 6120.

All were very good standalone but, it seemed Sony's earliest goal to be the best possible and get market share from Marantz and McIntosh in its early years was compromised in future generations.

Both of those Sony receivers, the Sony STR V4 and the Sony STR 7065, are exceptional receivers to have. :tresbon:

Yes, you definitely are correct that those Sony beaut's were underestimated back in their time. :sigh:

Thanks for posting and sharing. :yes:

The early SS Sony receivers were competitive with McIntosh and the Marantz Model 18 and Model 19 in build, sonics, and in engineering. Even Gordon Gow and Sidney Corderman admired them of McIntosh fame.

For two years I was buying SS receivers and upgrading them for best sound. The Sony V4 was exceptional out of the box. For some reason it is all discrete without those old op-amps that cannot compete with later op-amps. All other Sony V series have op-amps. I did not try the STR-7065.

The Sony STR-6060FW was the only other receiver I preferred sound wise vs the V4, but the difference was not night & day. The STR-6060FW is the best SS receiver I heard. The STR-6060FW has a transformer in the FM multiplexer that can fail and replacements is unobtainium. The trick is two of these identical transformers exist in the Sony and one only uses one winding of two on the transformer. The second winding is the one that opens up. Just swap the transformers and you are back in business.

I think the Sony V4 is a real sleeper sound wise and the prices are minimal. I bought mine in excellent cosmetic and working condition for $80.

Last edited:
I have a STR6045 that while not in the same league as the STR6060 ultimately shows more of the same sonic signature voicing to it than the later and larger Sonys except the 6060's replacement, the STR6120. The 6045 when in system in lieu of the 6060 seemed to draw less attention to it than the 6120 did in the same system.

I've had two dozen receivers, including a couple of monsters. I'm firmly in the Peter Walker camp when it comes to differences in the "sound" of amps (properly designed, they should not color the signal in any way). The Sony is the only receiver I've kept. Classic looks, great build quality and ergonomics add up to a keeper.

1350963020083.jpg

I also have the STR-6055 as pictured above, and it is a winner! I have a spare pair of AR 215PS speakers and would love to get it into my bedroom driving them. Must get tape measure!

I just ran a 8 receiver/integrated shoot out and the Sony STR-6055 was one of the best SS receivers. Definitely a nice sounding unit.

I have a Sony str-7065 and think it is an awesome receiver, sweet sounding to me... Sony made some really nice receivers back in the day.....

I've got a $5 yard sale Sony HP 610A which appears to be from the same era as the 7065. While its lacks the ability to rattle the windows, my unit delivers an unusually rich sound quality that made me get rid of a nice old AKAI from the late 70's and a newer (well, 1990's) musical fidelity amp because they just sounded brittle in comparison. Lately I've been trying to figure out a way to get more volume out of my system and have been unsuccessful, so I'm on the hunt for 7065.
Sad to say, just one month ago I saw one in a thrift shop but was in a hurry and could not buy it. Went back an hour later and it was gone.......snooze you lose.
Anyways, I am at least inspired by the remarks here, for they support my efforts.

I will also say that i used my sony str-7065 as a preamp into my st-35 clone with cornscalas.... it made the best dynamics i have ever heard .... but lately i been listening to a fisher 400, (that i just bought), with cornwalls..... i like to rotate things around i guess....

Revive this thread....

Just swapped in a V4 for my 7055. V4 sounds more....modern and true. Original Master Recordings of Sticky Fingers is crazy great.

Running a Sony PS-X60 turntable and Cerwin Vega D7-E’s with it. Time capsule.

I have a Sony STR-V4 being delivered on Sunday. Hope it sounds as good as the posters say. I have a Sony STR-7055 which I think sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom