Sony SU-5510 Audio Rack - tape deck won't play

s_ss_

Hey all! I recently picked up (for free) a Sony SU-5510 audio rack on Craigslist, with receiver, tuner, tape deck, CD player, AND subwoofer. So, quite a find. When I tried it out when I went to pick it up, the CD player wouldn't eject the drawer and the tape deck wouldn't play. When I got home and plugged it in myself, the CD player would eject but the tape deck still isn't working. You put in the tape and press play and the screen registers as you having pressed play, but the wheels (if that's what they're called) won't turn. You hear a sound like they're trying to turn, but then they don't. There are two tape players and they both don't work in this same way. The hypothesis of the guy I bought it from was that the power cord which connects the subwoofer to the audio rack is warped and doesn't deliver enough power to the rack.

Does this sound like it could be the case? Should I go out and try to find a new one of these cords? (pictured below) I've never seen one of these cords before so I don't even know how I would look for one or if they still make them. Or, does this not sound like a power problem, and instead something's just wrong with the tape deck that requires a more involved fix? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• sony audio rack.jpg
    sony audio rack.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom