Sony TA 1120, need help with parts for this ship wreck parts

quadklipsh

Hi folks , the Sony that I found a month ago was sent to my tech . He was surprised at the nicer internals . However none of the boards work.pre amp, power amp, drivers .Nadaaa. .....zzzzip....
The transistors are mostly fried,all caps except the film ones need replacement.
My issue is availabilir of its original parts.
None of the larger transistors sd45 are available from the locals.I'm speculative.
And the driver board transistors also need new ones....
I'd like the AKers to help me with the best available transistors and caps compatible here and the various circuitry and componentry checks particular for this model.
It's the Sony ta 1120, without the head one socket.

That sounds a bit dramatic. I find it hard to believe everything is done over. If so it will be a very costly affair- 8 outputs, 63mm diameter ripple filter+countless hours.
Anyways the only problem child I foresee is the protection diodes SV....... though a competent tech can rework those. All other components are replaceable with modern sources.
Wish you best of luck with this adventure.
BTW nice unit

yeah .water damage and some corrosion and carbon. and then electric damage .
im still willing to have this restored and any help will be appreciated.
ill be posting some images today

OK.....
After a few weeks , my friend has finally found time for this one .He has done my two other amps . and now he has it this 1120 opened up. By the looks of the various components there is a feeling it was damaged by chemical spillage . Many caps and relays are dead . All transistors need replacements . the originals sd45k are unobtanium and i have found a guy who can provide us the 2N3055 by toshiba . Wiring has also suffered and ofcourse there are dry solderings.

i have sent him all the japanese capacitors that i could find from here for recapping . MJ15003 (6 pairs ) as replacement for the sd45ks....those he said are fake :(

OK..... here is what i want to know from AK gurus ....\
1) What are nice and possible replacement transistors that are easy to obtain and do the job right for Sony TA 1120.
2) Is this amplifier going to sound as good as my Sansui 9500 and AU517 or be superior .
3) Also can somebody describe its sound signature (bassy, thin, harsh,midrangey, )
4) What is the impact of 3055 transistors on sound quality in place of the original SD 45Ks.....

any information on the restoration is welcome .i will forward it to my tech and would be of great help to us both . thanks .

1) What are nice and possible replacement transistors that are easy to obtain and do the job right for Sony TA 1120.

DS: You'll need to be far more detailed about the transistors. This is not enough information. Suggest a spreadsheet with the number needed and the transistor number.

2) Is this amplifier going to sound as good as my Sansui 9500 and AU517 or be superior .

DS: This is a subjective discussion. Frankly, most all of the amps from the same generation will sound pretty much the same if the circuit topologies are the same - most were. You'll find lots of people who will identify certain 'sounds' by brand name. Good on 'em!

3) Also can somebody describe its sound signature (bassy, thin, harsh,midrangey, )

DS: See #2 above.

4) What is the impact of 3055 transistors on sound quality in place of the original SD 45Ks.....

DS: This is a recipe for disaster if 2N3055 do not meet the specs required.

Bottom Line: Without pictures, we've gotten a lot of assessment that says do not invest the time and money. Sell it for parts - the knobs and faceplace will be worth something on eBay.

Cheers,

David

thanks alot but as for Sell it for parts - the knobs and faceplace will be worth something on eBay. Gosh NOOOOOOO....
even after best efforts it doesnt sound the way i anticipate , ill have it on my rack just for looks .

sorry but I dont have any schematics neither is the internet helping . the tech found it difficult to find much data on this one.
What more today he showed me the resistors that are also corroded .
He suggests that i find another 1120.
End of story .
im busted on this one ....so sad

The age old and damaged resistors also had deranged values to much higher than the original ....

Since a lot of recapping was completed the night before ,the amp was played again and it gave a strange sounds when played . After a while the smaller transistors gave up and blew. The tech switched the amp off in dismay and informed me .
this is where he suggested that the power boards of another 1120 may be helpful as a lot of resistors have to be all replaced .
Every day im thinking if this is still worth the effort ....
Give some input plz

The age old and damaged resistors also had deranged values to much higher than the original ....

Since a lot of recapping was completed the night before ,the amp was played again and it gave a strange sounds when played . After a while the smaller transistors gave up and blew. The tech switched the amp off in dismay and informed me .
this is where he suggested that the power boards of another 1120 may be helpful as a lot of resistors have to be all replaced .
Every day im thinking if this is still worth the effort ....
Give some input plz
The service manual, including some schematics and a list of all electronic components is available free online. Go to www.hifiengine.com and register (it's free). Search the database for your amplifier. Download the service manual. Done. Good luck on the restoration, it looks like a big job. (NB: There appear to be 2 versions distinguished by serial number - TA-1120 and TA-1120A. Amount and type of info slightly different. You may want to download both.)

I have the TA-1120A and use it daily after a full restoration. It's a great amp and guessing it sounds pretty similar to the non-A version. It's not the most natural-sounding amp, but the coloration of the sound is very rich and warm and remains very detailed, providing accurate and not bloated bass. I think it's pretty well balanced and not harsh even with horn-loaded speakers.

I can tell you that the A and non-A are very similar but distinctly different amps. Make sure you have the correct schematic from Hifi Engine, which has both. I love mine, but it sounds like you have an uphill battle to get it back to spec.

Iv arranged caps. Arranged all resistors. And now buying 2N3055 in place of sd45k transistors ...plz tell if this is ok.

I'm following this with interest - I just picked up a TA-1130 integrated with some issues but I have yet to receive it and diagnose the issue. I don't know if the two systems are similar but if they are I'll be happy to help / contribute.

I also picked up a juicy TA-3200F power amp :) Cheers !

i have struggled to find a guy who has a couple of genuine transistors of these numbers :

15003/4
2N3055
But he only has a 3or 4 of each of these hence inappropriate to use in the 1120 .

Back
Top Bottom