Sony Ta-1630 Japan, good amp?

elnaldo

Lunatic Member
hi,
There are a couple of this SONY TA-1630 at a good price down here, so I wonder how good or bad are they. Sellers are asking 1/2 or of the price of 1 Pionner SX680 or SX 780 ....

Please, feel free to move this to the D&S forum if this is not the right place to ask for this....

I like Pre 80's Sony gear. I think this is just at the border (78?). It's a nice sounding 22 watt/channel amp. My Sony STR 6055 receiver is built like a tank and I'm assuming the TA-1630 is in the same ball park. If the price is good, give it a shot.

I was using a 7015 receiver and I love how that sounds! But I picked up a 5055L tuner from a scrap pile... That just needed a new fuse and I then decided I would go fully seperate with my system. Are you running G series speakers with your Sony stuff? I am running G3's and it just works amazingly!

I have its bigger brother (3650)--nice solid amp. If it's been treated well over the years, you should enjoy it.

Ray

hi,
There are a couple of this SONY TA-1630 at a good price down here, so I wonder how good or bad are they. Sellers are asking 1/2 or of the price of 1 Pionner SX680 or SX 780 ....

Please, feel free to move this to the D&S forum if this is not the right place to ask for this....

It's the bottom range of the Sony's of that time, I wouldn't pay more then $25 for them. The circuity is very basic, say it's a really stripped down version of the 2650. Definitely not an impressive circuit. In fact, for me, it's from the 3650 model I would buy one; the 1630 and 2650 are to be extinct for me. You'll see that it's pretty empty inside (google it). The only reason for me to buy them might be the wooden side panels if they are in good shape, because the good thing about the Sony's of that peroid is that all the chassis (knobs, feeds, panels, speakers terminals, etc) of the various models are the same and are usefull when you need to restore a higher model.

Furthermore, the 1630/2650/3650 have that totally non-replaceable 2-in-1 power supply cap, and some odd (double) diodes that can kill the amp when they fail. Changing the diodes and caps is mandatory if you want to keep it, but is surpassing it's market value rapidly.

However, it's a fine chasis to build your own project inside !

Last edited:
The dual cap' should be easy enough to replace, either with another dual cap or there is plenty of room in these things to be able to mount two seperate cap's and wire them up.... At the end of the day though, if anything major goes wrong you can get the old Sony's for next to nothing so you can just scrap and replace if it's not worthwhile putting money on fixing :)

The dual cap' should be easy enough to replace, either with another dual cap or there is plenty of room in these things to be able to mount two seperate cap's and wire them up.... At the end of the day though, if anything major goes wrong you can get the old Sony's for next to nothing so you can just scrap and replace if it's not worthwhile putting money on fixing :)

You're right, but I meant that they are not replaceable if one would like to maintain to have them fixed on the existing PCB (using a similar 2-in-1 cap). Of course, loose-mounted caps will always be possible. No problem at all.

BTW: if you know where I could get similar 2-in-1 caps, with screw-type terminals in a triangle footprint as shown on the attached picture, then I would be very happy to know that !

Attachments

• IMG_2204_900p.jpg
    IMG_2204_900p.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I saw some dual cap's on an Engish store's website, pretty sure they were mundorf. Don't know how similar they are to the ones in these Sony's though... Best bet if you are looking for a replacement would be to just pick up one of the Sony's cheap as possible, pull the cap, then re-cap it with two normal caps and sell it on.

So, I've now had chance to plug this bad boy in... In answer to the original post, is it a good amp? Yes, it is a damn good amp!

Bass is deep and tight, treble is clean and crisp, both well balanced with each other. One thing I feel is a let down with my STR 7015 is the treble didn't cut through enough, the 1630 is more crisp on the mids and treble. Volume wise, the 1630 is capable of getting more than serious, ideal if you like to share your music with neighbours on the next street.

I can't fault this amp at all.

Please can anyone help?

I’ve got a Sony TA-1630 Amplifier that belonged to somebody very close to me and so it is of great sentimental value. (rather than monetary worth) The thing is, it’s been stored in a garage (NOT in one outside – but one that was part of a house - but with no heating etc.) I’m not too troubled if it does not work, but wanted it looking nice ‘cosmetically’ for display in my house at least. How do I clean the silver-looking front control panel? It’s not scratched or anything – but just looks as if would clean up a bit. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions which won’t allow me to do any harm to the surface of it? Would also like to clean the top grill plate too, (with the vent holes) and the sides that look wooden, but am unsure if it is or not.

Would be vey grateful for anyone that could help me with some good advice.

Many Thanks

I would use a damp cloth (microfiber cloth is good) and a mild detergent like dish soap. Don't rub too hard, or the lettering might come off.

Thanks ever so much or that - will do it tomorrow. Would this method also include the sides of the unit that look like wood? (not sure if they are though)

yes. If wood Damp cloth, then some pledge or similar furniture polish to start with. If vinyl damp cloth, then follow up with a little (very little) Armor all or similar.

Be VERY careful with the lettering, or avoid cleaning over them. Some kind of letter can be damaged easily, while others are very resistant and you can clean over them without problems, so try first with care.

did you buy them?

Hard to say if it's worth it.. for you in parts cost and shipping. I'm sure you can fix them.. make sure any VR's are capable of service... they do go bad and factory set and forget.. as in the next time you want to reset the bias or offset just be careful if readings start varying fast.

I have nice GX model I'm going to fix and now that I have the scope I can seriously get some needed readings.

Back
Top Bottom