Sony TA-2000f or Yamaha C-4 for active tube speakers

Pearson

Some time ago I acquired a pair of active tube-powered Sonab OA-6 speakers (built some time between 1966 and 1970).

(Pictures are forthcoming; in the meantime some info here: https://www.carlssonplanet.com/en/speakers/produced/sonab-oa-6-type-1-mk-i/)

Currently I am driving them with the pre-amp section of my Harman/Kardon HK 930 receiver; not an ideal solution. I would want to get a somewhat contemporary pre-amp, but will settle for a 70s model because I'd like to have variable tone controls (changeable mean frequency - sorry, but I don't know the appropriate term for this). I also would like it a to be a model that could have been plausible in a typical higher mid-end setup over here back in the day, and - of course - one that looks good.

Here are two ideas:

Sony TA-2000f
Yamaha C-4

How would they compare to eachother?

My sources are a Thorens TD-125 with SME arm and a modern Yamaha CD player/streamer.

Turnover frequency is the term you want.

Like the looks, flexibility and features of the Sony. Been a while though
The C-4, well both might need a recap and mine is sweet since doing that but the visibility of the controls and troublesome selector switches had me swap it out of the main rig a couple months ago...oh and the colder weather, went with a couple tubes which may put out as much heat as those two transistors in the C-4. The C-4 has 3 phono inputs, one LOMC and adjustable loading in resistance and capacitance on the front panel.

I think I would want to listen to them as they are both highly respected units, with headphone outs a nice headphone amp in the C-4.

You didn't mention enough inputs to make the Sony required but I used an external switch box (db systems) to add some more line level inputs.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. It used to be that I needed a lot of inputs, but since I stopped used various tape machines, I only need one phono and one aux input in the living room.

Here is one of the speakers:

dsc-0347.JPG

A peek through the hood reveals the four cone tweetwers and in the back the 8 inch upwards facing midrange:

dsc-0351.JPG

Some glowing tubes inside:

dsc-0353.JPG

The downwards facing 10 inch bass driver:

dsc-0354.JPG

I know these don't really belong in the solid state forum, but anyway...:rolleyes: And I'm not looking for a tube pre-amp to pair them with. It actually feels better to have a solid state amp as a "counterweight".

The speakers are bass reflex systems; engineer Stig Carlsson who designed them was pioneering bass reflex systems already in the early fifties.

Between those two, and for my own reasons, the Sony would be the winner - no contest.

But, the Yamaha could be the more practical.

It's not as tall so may "fit" better.

Thanks for providing your opinion. I have an old Sony integrated amp of the same vintage for a secondary system and somehow find the design appealing. But guests never know how to operate it. :)

Blue Shadow - in what way do you find the switches of the Yamaha "troublesome"?

The small phono adjusters are long sliding switches that take a couple hours to pull disassemble clean and replace. The selector switches have wafers that lose contact...missing channel. These are hard to properly clean, can have rivets that come loose enough to lose a channel, aren't easily rebuilt. Check the Yamaha board for a few C4 threads to learn more. There is a lot of discussion about it with fixes.

That was useful information and something to consider, thanks. A pity, since I really like the idea of steplessly adjustable turnover frequency.

Off hand, does anybody know of other preamps with this feature?

I have the matching 3200F amplifier for the Sony 2000F. One day I'll find a 2000F myself. Good luck with your choice!

I am still looking. Any opinions on Sansui CA-2000 compared to the others?

(I see that the pictures in one of my posts above are no longer showing - is it possible to somehow edit old posts?)

The Sansui would be a fine unit. All of the preamps mentioned are very nice vintage units.

Back
Top Bottom