Sony TA-F5 seriously injured. Need help!

C0deXeus

Okay guys, before I get to the point, I got some real interesting story for y'all.

This is a parcel containing Sony TA-F5 I bought a few months back from Japan. I received it today.
IMG_20171113_203701[1].jpg
IMG_20171113_203834[1].jpg
As seen above, the seller used a super large box to with very few 'crumpled' papers and a thin piece of bubblewrap (not shown) to protect the amplifier. The result was a colossal damage.

bent volume control (can be turned until about 2)
IMG_20171113_143137_HDR[2].jpg

Rear panel damage
IMG_20171113_143049_HDR[2].jpg

Heatsink damage
IMG_20171113_143031_HDR[1].jpg
Another rear panel damage
IMG_20171113_142925[1].jpg

I was quite surprised the rear panel made of metal could break. I could not imagine how many Newtons of forces been applied to do so... It was even more frustrated when the seller placed those 'crumpled papers' at the top and bottom of the amp. That's why front and rear panel suffered from serious damage.

Let's get to the point:

1. Anyone knows the brand/ model of the volume pot? In case this pot can't be fixed or I break the shaft.
2. Where can I look for a rear panel replacement? or is it possible to remake another? Actually the TA-F4 rear panel is identical to F5 except for F5 has an additional phono input which I need some suggestion if to do modification.

I'm not sure about the electronics part as it seemed to be dusty with some pungent smell. Have not powered it up yet.

This is a wonderful piece of gear and I really couldn't see it go away...

UGH, that hurts. For parts and spares, also check the TA-F5A which seems to be much more common. It is basically a stripped down version without the MC input and other features but the basic footprint is the same. I have one and have not been able to find a service manual for it but the TA-F5A is available at HiFiengine and that will give you a part number for the volume pot.

Man, I'm sorry to see that much damage from shipping. I've seen a few amps I would like to get from Japan but have been scared of just that happening.

Unfortunately I have no idea where to get replacement parts. Maybe keep an eye out on HiFiDo in Japan for one to pop up. They are known to pack bomb proof.
They have a "junk" section that has a bunch of stuff really cheap (that don't pop up in their normal search, you have to go to junk shop specifically). You might be able to make one good one out of two that way which might be easier than trying to fix the one you have.

UGH, that hurts. For parts and spares, also check the TA-F5A which seems to be much more common. It is basically a stripped down version without the MC input and other features but the basic footprint is the same. I have one and have not been able to find a service manual for it but the TA-F5A is available at HiFiengine and that will give you a part number for the volume pot.
That's weird I've actually seen some F5A rear panel without heatsink from the Bay. Regarding the volume pot, I can't find the part number and specs from HFE's manual. Are you sure about it, or I'm getting old?:biggrin:

Man, I'm sorry to see that much damage from shipping. I've seen a few amps I would like to get from Japan but have been scared of just that happening.

Unfortunately I have no idea where to get replacement parts. Maybe keep an eye out on HiFiDo in Japan for one to pop up. They are known to pack bomb proof.
They have a "junk" section that has a bunch of stuff really cheap (that don't pop up in their normal search, you have to go to junk shop specifically). You might be able to make one good one out of two that way which might be easier than trying to fix the one you have.
Thanks for your suggestion. These few weeks have been very tough for me. All the nice gears I found began to vanish one by one in all of sudden. Of course, I'm still waiting for a TA-F5 to appear and hope the price is reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom