Sony TA-N88B tune up

ebk231

Hello
I have a Sony TA-N88B that is fully functioning and I would like to make it safe to use daily. The only issue is a little thump when turning off the power. Does anyone have experience with this amplifier? I have searched and the info is hit and miss. I know that the power supply needs to be in top shape. I plan on replacing on the electrolytics, but what else should be addressed? Any specific weak links I should address?

I have a service manual but you can`t to do anything if you dont have osciloscope. This is almost full digital power amplifier with Pulse-locked power supply. You can to recap this amp but why to do complete recap if amplifier work properly and spend some money on blind work?!

You dont consider replacing 40 year old caps a good preventative measure? I dont think many of these amps are still surviving in original condition. I really just want to be able to safely play this loud and long without hurting the vfets. I do have scope but knowledge on using it properly is another issue. I got a great deal on the amp and dont mind spending some money on it.

Well I started to work on it and make a cap list. I was hoping to get some help selecting caps.
The big ones are 2200uf 200v and 5600uf 100v . I would like to use some that are the same series for of these. I found some LNT series from Nichicon
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-LNT2D222MSE Value wise an exact match

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-LNT2A682MSE They dont offer 5600uf in this series but I found these at 6800uf. What do you guys think about jumping up to that value and these caps in general?

No I toasted a couple vfets. I have a way better understanding of the procedure that needs to be done before installing the vfets. I didnt go through and check all the waveforms before firing it up. Im on the hunt for the 2Sj28's and I when I find them Ill give it one more shot. I have had great success with my restorations of the TA-E88, E86, and N86 and enjoy them all very much.

Back
Top Bottom