Sony TC-260 loud hiss and pop!!

Quick Cal

I hope it's ok that I start another thread about this thing. This is a needs repair thread, not ia s it worth messing with. I thought I could get more attention.

So anyway.

I had some very loud static. Could stand to have the unit on. I thought it was the controls. I've cleaned everything multiple times. I did get it to quiet down a lot. But there's still a problem. Before it was doing it in any position.

Please watch this video and tell me if you guys have any ideas. Thanks.

I gather you paid particular attention to the record\monitor switch during cleaning.

That's all I got......

Much more experienced members here-hope they can help.

What you have going on there is in the amplifier section of the player. You most likely have a transistor that is noisy due to it seeing improper voltage to it. This is most likely caused by an electrolytic capacitor that has gone way out of spec. I had a Sony TC-200 (which was a hybrid tube/solid state amp and a similar age/model to yours) that had a similar issue and found failed electrolytic capacitors. I replaced them and the noise went away and the channel in question on mine came back to normal. Best to get a service manual, check your voltages at the transistors compared to what the schematic says they should be. I'll bet a recap is in order. You may not have to replace any transistors, you may have to....it all depends on if any of them are shorted or not. If none are shorted, the recap should fix your issues.

I have a TC-200 with a similar annoying issue! I've replaced the two 500uf caps as well as a few others on the left and right output boards and the motor run capacitor. Mine is intermittent though, comes and goes. It's a crackling fuzzy noise which sounds like a bad contact but there are no bad contacts. If I turn the output all the way open the noise disappears but starts back in at around the "8" mark on the output control. I'll eventually track down the culprit but what drives me crazy is I will think it's fixed because the noise will go away after a cap replacement, but then after 20 mins or so it creeps back up like a bugger. I may just leave it as it isn't unbearable, just annoying.

Back
Top Bottom