Sony TC-580 floating pinch roller adjustment?

ivo

Hi everybody! A friend of mine just gave me for free a Sony tc 580 R to R in terrible condition but still moving:)
I took the base-board from the wood case and start cleaning...I'm wondering how this floating pinch roller can be adjusted.Got the service book there is an illustration of the Direction Change Stopper Position, so I did everything as it should but the machine still not change the direction position of the roller automatically - it is easily changed manually.Im going to do the Head Deck removal procedure, but first, I would like to get any advice and help if its possible from somebody with experience with this decks.
Thank you for any answer and help!

Last edited:
The position of the pinch roller is changed by the small idler wheel underneath that contacts the capstan. The rubber tire wears out and has to be sent to Terry Witt for rebuilding. The position of the pinch roller really doesn't matter, though. Most auto reverse decks leave the pinch roller in the same position in both directions. Get the rest of the machine working and don't worry about the position of the pinch roller. Flip it to the right side and leave it.

Thanks, dr*audio! I don't know I may send it to Terry...I know it is going to cost me about $35...Right now I'm cleaning the switches - the two long record switches and one direction playback switch - they all of them are full of dust, so I'm working with brush and air now then deox.The deck is looking like on very low mileage, nobody has been worked on it.I think(i hope!) ill get back it to live...It looks like a nice vintage machine- 1969??Read some reviews which are from hosanna to fully crap...Probably ill find the truth when i fully cleaned it, lubricated and start it with good tape. If you have any experience how this machine sounds and works in new condition ill be glad to read it!
Thanks again!
Ivo.

I had one of these. When they are working correctly they sound excellent. The long head switches on the bottom of the machine are it's Achilles heel. They go bad and cause the channels to drop out.

That's right!The left channel here was totally out - no record no reproduction.After four times cleaning the long record switches and change direction switch with air and deoxit the functions get back - now both channels are working good.I still losе some hi frequencies in this left channel probably of some bad trim pot.Or bad head?What else may the cause of losing the hi frequencies?? Actually, I don't want to touch the trim pots because I don't have an oscilloscope either a sound generator to do an electrical adjustment. So continue with cleaning.Ill post the result here.
Thanks!!
Ivo.

Greetings from RojoLand!

Second that on those switches. The deck has four of them, in fact. The one on the Playback Amp board is the main troublemaker. I have a TC-730 (which is a TC-580 with a built-in power amp and speakers). On my deck, that switch (S102, part number 1-514-813) had a broken actuator so one section of the switch wasn't switching. Had to score a donor board to get a replacement switch, as Sony dropped that part years ago (I tried to get one in the 1980s; no go).

A recapping is probably in order too, as this deck is nearing 50 years old.

Take care,

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"

Thanks, rojoknox! I found only three long switches here - two on record board and
nd one on playback board.Where is the location of the fourth? I never cleaned up forth switch.Or maybe because this one on playback board actually servicing two performances you counted it for two? I would like to clean all switches and potentiometers, lubricated all moving parts before i touch anything else...I already cleaned up the side wood panels and black front panel and the deck is shining like new now.I'm aware that those friend of mine who gave it for free to me will be so sorry...but it was looking so bad at this time...so this is what is it, right?Ill post some pictures

Greetings from RojoLand!

S102 on the Playback Amp board; S101, S103 and S104 on the Bias Osc board. S103/4 are the Record-Play switches activated by the Record levers on the front panel; S101 (and S102) are operated by the FWD/REV linkage and solenoid. All four switches are identical. S101 is mounted at a right angle to S103 and S104. At least that's what I see in my TC-730 and in the TC-730 service manual — it's not impossible that there was a change made in at least some TC-580s, but as far as I know it's the same deck (just with no power amp and speakers).

My TC-730 was free to me as well (was given to me for repair, but I couldn't get the parts, and I haven't seen the giver since 1980!).

Take care,

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"

(EDIT — Just grabbed the TC-580 service manual — yep, same thing. Pages 45-47.)

Last edited:
I had a heck of a time finding a solution to that floating pinch roller. What I eventually did was grind off all the old rubber from the small wheel, find a suitable O-Ring gasket, sand it down, then fit 4 small O-rings on the capstan, two in front and two behind the small roller. This added a little bit more tension when switching directions without causing any friction problems while grabbing the sides of the roller instead of relying on the pressure of the spring entirely to swing the mechanismIMG_0335[1].JPG . It is still working as of now but who knows. It was a weird design to begin with. Good luck!

ALSO, don't forget to follow the adjustment procedure for the capstan bearing adjustment after reinstalling the bearing as not to wear out your motor.

Tape decks are a love/hate relationship. I have a Akai GX-650D, the TC-580, Teac A2050, Sony TC-200, Roberts 1630 and a 330. Some days they work great, some days they are noisy, some days my 650 decides to brake and snap tape. It's a constant joy. "Ugh just get rid of them!. Oh wait now they are working fine so maybe not." They are like people in a way. HA!

AGREE! I have two Sansui SD7000, Akai XD 650, Teak 3300( 10" reels) and Pioneer Silver Tank. Love every screw of them.
Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom