Sony TC-580 or TEAC A4010 AC

laidbackdude

Hi,

I need a reel-to-reel tape recorder to playback tapes so that I can digitize them for a film.

A neighbor has two of them!

They are a Sony TC-580 and a TEAC A4010 AC. Assuming they are in good condition, which machine would you buy?

Greetings from RojoLand!

Either of those machines would do the job (I have an A-4010S — never heard of an "AC" model — and I also have a Sony TC-730 which is a TC-580 with a built-in stereo amp and speakers), with a couple of caveats: The tapes you want to play back would have to be quarter-track, as both these machines are quarter-track stereo decks. Older tapes might be half-track, or two-track stereo. Such tapes would play on a quarter-track machine, but not optimally. Do you know approximately how old these tapes might be? Or, particularly, at what speed they are recorded? Generally, you'll find either 7-1/2 or 3-3/4 inches per second (IPS). Both machines can run those speeds, but if the old tapes were made at 1-7/8 IPS you'd have to go with the Sony.

Of the two, the TC-580 is a bit newer and offers more features (bi-directional play and record, for one, plus three-speed capability), but the Sony machine can be fussy and hard to maintain. I waited 37 years to find parts to fix my TC-730 (couldn't get 'em from Sony even back in 1981!).

Good luck,

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"

Greetings from RojoLand!

Either of those machines would do the job (I have an A-4010S — never heard of an "AC" model — and I also have a Sony TC-730 which is a TC-580 with a built-in stereo amp and speakers), with a couple of caveats: The tapes you want to play back would have to be quarter-track, as both these machines are quarter-track stereo decks. Older tapes might be half-track, or two-track stereo. Such tapes would play on a quarter-track machine, but not optimally. Do you know approximately how old these tapes might be? Or, particularly, at what speed they are recorded? Generally, you'll find either 7-1/2 or 3-3/4 inches per second (IPS). Both machines can run those speeds, but if the old tapes were made at 1-7/8 IPS you'd have to go with the Sony.

Of the two, the TC-580 is a bit newer and offers more features (bi-directional play and record, for one, plus three-speed capability), but the Sony machine can be fussy and hard to maintain. I waited 37 years to find parts to fix my TC-730 (couldn't get 'em from Sony even back in 1981!).

Good luck,

Thanks for your response.

Some of the tapes are full track (they were recorded on a Nagra for a film) I just listened to one of them (they are over 40 years old) on a Sony TC-377 (which I borrowed with an option to buy) and they sounded OK especially when cleaned up via Audacity. Unfortunately very soon after I began playing the tape the SONY started having speed problems - the 7 1/2 ips began slowing down - way down

So, from your response and others it sounds like the TEAC might be the better choice for me especially if parts are needed.

I would agree on the TEAC over the Sony. I have a Sony TC-377 that I have now spent a number of years trying to get running. I have a TEAC A4010S that is a work horse. Parts seem more available even though these were built in the late 60's. It has Auto reverse, but as Rojo states, it only records in 1 direction.

Greetings from RojoLand!

Second that on the A-4010S — listening to mine right now, in fact. New belt and the usual clean/lube of the pinch-roller mechanism (common problem) and it's good to go. Not bad for a 50-year-old machine. One thing to be aware of, however — A-4010s are full of Suzuki 0.1-µF 400 V "oil capacitors" that over time have gone bad and can go off like little firecrackers unexpectedly! I call them "Suzuki-bombs." I've replaced all of them in my deck with 0.1 µF 630 V axial film capacitors. If you're not technically skilled, consider having someone do this if you purchase an A-4010.

Since the tapes in question are full-track, a full- or half-track machine might be a better choice and give a bit better playback quality than a quarter-track rig would. Just a thought.

Take care,

I'll also recommend the Teac. I have a Sony TC-580. It was my first RtR deck. I was pretty excited until I opened it up and found that all of the wiring inside is point to point. I am selling it for parts if anyone is interested...
On the other hand, I have 2 Teacs and as others have said- they're built like tanks and sound fantastic.

Greetings from RojoLand!

There are three or four printed circuit boards in a TC-580 (and TC-730), so it's not all point-to-point — but there is a heckuva lot of inter-board wiring in there. That's true of lots of decks. The big problem I had with my TC-730 was that one of the four nine-pole-double-throw (9PDT) slide switches in the set went gunnysack, so it wouldn't reliably play back in reverse (or even forward, all that well). It was that lousy little switch that I couldn't get a replacement for so long. Finally got hold of a donor board a year or so ago, and the set is running now, but boy oh boy, what a pill. When it works, it's great. WHEN it works. Meanwhile, my Teac A-6300 spent the better part of 30 years sitting in my garage with shot heads, waiting for replacements — when I got those last year and installed 'em, the deck came right to life and sounds great (even still has its original belt in working order!). As far as I'm concerned, Teacs RULE, and Sonys drool. [I was always a Sony booster at work, where I repaired U-Matic 3/4" VTRs. But Sony parts, when you could get 'em, were SPEND-Y.]

Sorry to sidetrack this thread with techie-talk…

Take care,

I'll also recommend the Teac. I have a Sony TC-580. It was my first RtR deck. I was pretty excited until I opened it up and found that all of the wiring inside is point to point. I am selling it for parts if anyone is interested...
On the other hand, I have 2 Teacs and as others have said- they're built like tanks and sound fantastic.

dipo here recently ran across your thread about parting out a TC 580, I have one that fell over on its face and broke the tape reel holder, its a small device that holds the tape in place, was wondering if you have one and what the cost would be plus shipping I live in Gulfport MS zip 39503.

Back
Top Bottom