Sony TC-766-2 Takeup Drive

cleverdick

Hi AKers,
I have a TC-766-2 (see also 765), on which a fault has just shown up after many months of non-use.
And this is... Apart from an initial kick, there is no drive to the takeup motor when in play mode. (FF is OK.)
I am blessed with an original service manual, and I'm about to start looking. However, given that I've been asked to dub a 1/4 track tape for a friend, I'd rather get this sorted ASAP. So on that basis, any clues, gained from the same experience, would be much appreciated. (And hopefully one day I'll be able to help somebody else with a different technical problem!)
Thanks all,
Rich

The reel size switch might need some cleaning with DeOxit followed by multiple actuations to remove contact oxidation. This switch affects the take-up motor torque in play mode (see page 13 of the TC-766-2 service manual).

Thanks - but in fact the fault is evident with the switch in either position. I should also have added that there is no forward tension (anticlockwise force on the R/H hub) in REW mode, either. It just floats freely with the brakes off.

No 74V on the collector of Q739. Hmmmm.... Nothing on the AC side of the rectifier.... And in fact it was F608 (F400mA).
Interestingly, the US/Canadian models don't have all these fuses.

Just had precisely the same problem on my 765 which hasn't been used for around 4 years. Messed around for ages because the service manual I had didn't mention that UK models had the additional fuses and weren't included on the original circuit diagrams I was using. They were on the service supplement however which I obtained later. Really pleased to have it working again. It was one of the last production models off the line - I bought it from an ex-Sony employee, who bought it at a discount when they were discontinued, and sold it to me for the princely sum of £100 back in 1980. What a bargain!

Just had precisely the same problem on my 765 which hasn't been used for around 4 years. Messed around for ages because the service manual I had didn't mention that UK models had the additional fuses and weren't included on the original circuit diagrams I was using. They were on the service supplement however which I obtained later. Really pleased to have it working again. It was one of the last production models off the line - I bought it from an ex-Sony employee, who bought it at a discount when they were discontinued, and sold it to me for the princely sum of £100 back in 1980. What a bargain!
Update - replaced fuse but now blows again. About to change the rectifier diodes and sc867a tranny.

Back
Top Bottom