Sony TC-K555

jbl64

Just picked up this Sony 3 head deck at my local Goodwill for $9.99 and todays 1/2 price on blue sticker price tag. It powers up ok and plays cassettes and quite operation on play and FWD-RWD modes. My first 3 head deck in my vintage audio setup. Most of the times i usually only find 2 head/3 motor decks. Did find out it is from 1982-1985 according to a vintage cassette site. MSRP $459.00 back in the days. :music:

I will be posting some photos since i just got home and gonna clean and dust the unit.

So far plays nicely and tomorrow gonna record to see how it sounds back on play back.

Attachments

• p019i2.jpg
    p019i2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 75
Recordings

I'm impress how it records with so much details that my Denon deck wouldn't capture. I'm using just a basic Sony HR tape. Sounds like a type II tape. My first experience with a 3 head deck and something i could afford. :thmbsp:

Still listening for hours without fatigue. Sounds as nice as a CD.

Attachments

• ZMAX 191.jpg
    ZMAX 191.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 43
Sony TC-K555ESL

Just seen this deck on you tube and it look very impressive. Yet mine a bit older then that model is 1/3 its size and for being smaller it sure has some weight to it. Like i said this is my first experience with a 3 head deck and have heard others mentioned how well they perform. I know it is not the top line 3 head cassette deck but i'm sure enjoying it's performance. :thmbsp:

Great looking styling on that Sony. Dolby C had just been released and the performance of cassette decks took an almighty leap.

Great buy.

Congrats! That same model was my first step into 3 head cassette decks several years ago. It's a great quality deck.

I just wished the bias adjustment on the front panel worked for the other tape types other than only Type I.

That's a great deck, it lacks almost no features and has a top quality. The only drawback I find is its terrible noise when changing modes. I hate those loud solenoid clacks but I love the deck more than others average 3 head decks I have

Back
Top Bottom