Sony TC-K700ES transport issue?

They are the same models with the japanese reference.

TC-K333ESX = TC-K700ES
TC-K333ESR = TC-K730ES

Not sure about the TC-K555ESR, but it could be an improved version of the 730ES not sold outside Japan.

The TCK-555esr has a more sophisticated bias and calibration function than the others, dual test tones and an auto function cal IIRC.

I've got TCK-333esrs myself. They are a brilliant deck.

Turns out that after futzing with the deck for a couple of hours today, I got both the FF and REW working. So the reel motor is okay.

Does look like the reel spindles, etc. need to be cleaned and re-lubed.

At this point I've got to find some step-by-step directions to help me disassemble the transport to do the lubrication, but I haven't been able to find anything online.

I have downloaded the service manual—studied it at length, but I haven't found it particularly helpful. The exploded view of the transport assembly is not at all clear, and the manual doesn't include disassembly instructions. I've been trying to avoid paying for an original copy of the manual, which presumably would be a lot clearer.

The manual seems very thorough on alignment procedures, but there's nothing as far as I can see on lubrication points and recommended lubricants—which any competent technician almost certainly knows.

If you look at exploded view (2) on page 34 you will see that the transport is secured with 4 screws, 2 on top, 2 on bottom.

Remove the tape lid and disconnect head wires first.

My new middle name is "Unobservant." I've looked at that illustration a dozen times and never noticed that the transport itself is shown in the upper right-hand portion of the picture.

Traveling today, but hope to get to work on it tomorrow.

Thanks

If I learned anything today, it's that I'm way over my head. The headphones volume is no longer noisy, but I can't tell if the record level pot is improved because something I did messed up the PLAY function. So now there is no audible click when PLAY is pressed, seemingly, the speed regulation in PLAY is not working, and there's no audio at the headphones jack (with the volume turned up).

My guess is that any competent tech could get this machine running like a Swiss watch in 30 minutes. I took a couple of hours to screw it up.

You have been incredibly gracious in offering help, but it's not right to depend on others for the level of help I need. So I'm going to sell the machine for parts, which should be a great deal for a tech familiar with the K700ES.

I apologize for having taken your time to no good purpose.

Don't need to apologize.

We are all here to support each others, all enthusiasts to make the tape technologies survive a little longer.

Most of my present knowledge comes from forums such as this one, from members that have spent time to shared their experience.

PS: in your case i would check all connectors regarding the transport. Then power supplies.

Decided today to take another crack at the TC-K700ES that has some kind of transport "malfunction."

The last time I had it open, the drive belt seemed loose, so I ordered a replacement then, and installing it seemed like a good place to start today. The belt replacement went okay—turned out to be much easier than I imagined, but it didn't fix the malfunctions. When I reinstalled the transport and tested it, it was eating tape—the capstan was feeding tape, but the take-up reel wasn't working. FF and REW didn't work.

Since the unit was already opened up and the transport assembly easily removed, I decided to check out the transport at the next level. Do so revealed that the default position of the take-up pinch lever assembly (part #211) is ENGAGED (pix Pinch-Lever Assy.jpeg ), and it doesn't disengage when the unit is powered up. So cassettes can't be loaded without manually disengaging the assembly. In contrast, the default position of the other pinch lever assembly (#241) is DISENGAGED. I could not visually determine why #211 remains ENGAGED.

At that point I decided that any further disassembly should be left to a professional, or at least a much more experienced hobbyist than myself, and I should follow-through on my intention of a couple of months ago to sell the unit for parts.

Which brings me to my second problem—reassembling the transport. I took pictures before disassembly and have studied the parts illustration, but I'm stumped trying to reassembly one part in particular. One end of the spring is shown attached to #231, plate (left), assy, fulcrum. The other end of the spring, attached to the "mystery" part, seemingly #272, lever lock, which is installed elsewhere. But the "mystery" part I have doesn't seem to match #272 shown in the parts illustration in the manual.

Mystery Part 1.jpeg Mystery Part 2.jpeg Mystery Part 3.jpeg Mystery Part 4.jpeg Mystery Part 5.jpeg Mystery Part 4.jpeg Mystery Part 5.jpeg

So I'm stuck on the reassembly. Any practical suggestions or photos (or heartfelt expressions of sympathy) would be much appreciated.

My understanding is that there may be several versions of this part.

Looking at service manual for similar models (TC-K730ES TC-K555ESii) the hook part should face up (to catch the door lug), the ring should be on the left, facing down, connected to the fulcrum.

Its rounded main axe should fit in the 2 black plastic "bearings" on the back plate of the transport, from either side of the fulcrum.

Thanks for your quick reply—much appreciated.

I've put away the unit, so I have a hard time imagining what you're describing; but when I get a chance to work on it again in a couple of days, I'll try to figure it out.

I'll also see if I can round up copies of the TC-K730ES and TC-K555ESii service manuals.

With the help of your pix, I've got the transport assembly back together again.

Still don't have a clue why the take-up pinch roller doesn't disengage from its capstan as its default position. Looking at the service manual's exploded view of the transport and visually examining the mechanism, the supply pinch roller assembly has two springs (#242 and #243), one of which presumably keeps it in the default disengaged position. But from the exploded view, it seems the take-up pinch roller has only one spring, and that's all I see when examining the mechanism.

The supply pinchroller second springs allows height (=depth) setting. No such thing on the take up pinchroller.

Can you remove the take up pinchroller and take picture of both pinchroller (innerside) and chassis ?

I believe that the pinchroller arm has a kind of lever that is supposed to be set under the head carriage. The spring keeps the pinchroller engaged as up as possible, either limited by the head carriage in stop mode, or by the capstan in play mode.

If that lever is bent the pinchroller will not go down with the head carriage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom