Sony TC-K7ii won’t play

Discussion in 'Tape' started by betamax, Aug 2, 2018.

1. betamax

betamax Active Member

New to me Sony TC-K7II cassette deck. Had a bad belt, which I’ve replaced. It will play, but only for a few seconds and only the left spindle turns, not the right. Also, fast forward and rewind only works for about 5 seconds. What’s going on? Counter turns with fast forward and rewind but not with play

Please register to disable this ad.

2. betamax

betamax Active Member

I've got it to play, the tire that's supposed to engage with the reel was hanging too far over, lubed up the mechanism and it works now.

Now the problem is that it won't record, and it will only fast forward to rewind a few seconds. The tape counter works fine.

3. betamax

betamax Active Member

*crickets* This must be a lightly traveled forum.

4. BOUXY

BOUXY Super Member

No not really,you just have to wait,maybe take a number?:)

5. zedex

zedex Active Member

Tire is probably worn out or rock hard among other things.

6. dshoaf

dshoaf That high voltage buzz

If you're looking for help from some of the 'arm chair bench techs' here at AK, it pays to make it as easy as possible to help you. First up, a link to a service manual is always appreciated. Here's an example.

Next, tape movement problems are almost always a mechanical problem - not electronic. The later cassette decks, however, used light bulbs for detecting tape and transport movements. Check the linked service manual for them and then see if they're working properly. If the cassette deck was subjected to shipping or other heavy, impactful movement, light bulbs will die.

Cheers,

David

Please register to disable this ad.