Sony TC500a Teardown questions!

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by nick parkin, Jan 8, 2019.

1. FlaCharlie

FlaCharlie AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, if you want to buy a ready made chassis, Hammond now sells them with walnut options.

https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/small-case/chassis

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=HWCHAS1310AL

Not exactly cheap at $78 but looks quite nice. Here's the bottom plate, which is sold separately: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=HW1310ALPL

Here's a thread I posted a while back explaining how to get free shipping from Digi-Key:
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...hipping-on-parts-orders.739513/#post-10018562

Please register to disable this ad.

2. nick parkin

nick parkin AK Subscriber Subscriber

I appreciate the links and advice. I just ordered a step down transformer to reduce my 124 volts mains to 110-115 ish volts and shipping was $6, and I forgot to order a few small parts as well. As for the chassis, I made a cad mode layout and eyeball edits and inches, and a length of 12 inches. I can buy a 1/8” thick 7”x12” aluminum plate for $6.99 each! All I have to do is go the local woodshopvsnf buy a plank of my favorite woof and I’ll be all set. I’d like to do ,y own finger joints and everything.

3. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

lay the parts out on a cardboard sheet with your chassis size marked on it to see if it makes sense first. Something I can tell you from experience is that working inside an overly cramped chassis is a PITA.

If you're doing the finger jointed box and top plate method, maybe consider making the top plate captive. Basically you'd need to cut a groove into all four pieces wide enough for the plate to sit in. Assemble the box 3 sided, slide the plate in, then install the last piece of wood to secure it. JMO but I think it would look nicer than a box with a plate screwed to the top of it.

4. nick parkin

I will definitely do a three sided box for making the amp. Ive already tried building the amp in my other single ended chassis that is 4" wide and 10" long, and it is just enough size for the circuit, however with the new output transformers and power trannys, it needs a little more width so I think 7" should be plenty, plus the extra length. My goal is to make a neat, organized looking circuit. Do you have any insights as to the placement of the chokes and output transformers? Do I need to mount them off axis to each other so the magnetic fields do not interfere?

5. 6DZ7

6DZ7 Super Member

Think outside the amp box. You'll have more fun with more room. Good luck with your project.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 8:26 PM
  6. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

I meant do it as a 4 sided box, but put the metal plate in before the last side goes on so it won't come out. You'd have to use a table saw and cut a slot in the four pieces to give the top plate somewhere to go, and it can't be so close to the top that the upper "lip" won't support itself.

Power supply should generally be as far from the signal stuff as possible. Choke and PT should be at 90 degrees to one another, and if possible also 90 to the output transformers. The OPT can be in the same plane though.

I have an amp that is basically 6x14 and its honestly a pretty miserable thing to work inside of. I've got other amps that are just barely big enough to fit all their parts, and they all suck to work on in their own way. Don't crowd yourself if you don't have to. The bottom starts closing in pretty fast once parts go in.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. nick parkin

yes they do I already started building the RH84 on my chassis from my other amp and it was 1.5" deep and 10" x 4" footprint and it is just wayy too small. Maybe with the original power transformers and output trannys it would work, but it definitely won't work with the new trannys as they are all much bigger. The nice thing about starting from scratch is I don't have to be a salve to the original layout and the layout im planning on doing is designed in a way to minimize the distance between all the parts on the circuit. ie, the rectifier is next to the power tranny, the output terminals are next to the output transformers etc....

As for the groove and sliding in the metal plate, id rather not do that as I don't have anything to cut the groove with. I was going to do the finger joints by hand with a chisel and use a drill bit as wide as each grove to drill a hole and remove some material first.

8. 6DZ7

6DZ7 Super Member

I love the smell of burning insulation, in the morning.... It's easier to pass a camel through spaghetti than a hot soldering tip...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 8:16 PM