Sony turntable advice sought

Lefty

Well I'm still working on the Sony component system I'm slowly assembling. I would like to upgrade my Marantz 6300 turntable to something comparable or better from Sony. However I'm not in the hi-end TT market.

The Sony PS-X60 & X70 were recommended to me here some time ago. I have been tracking Sony vintage TTs but have not found many X60 or X70 to get a good feel for how high one might bid. I don't mind spending what it's worth but don't have a good feel for what too much might be.

Here is a listed X60 that I put a rather low 'holding' bid on until I make up my mind what a good final bid might be. I swore that I would never have a TT shipped, too many shippiong damage horrow stories, but my brother in law lives in an adjacent city and would pick it up and hold it for me until we visit next spring. So any valuation opinions for me?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...30024923540&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Lefty

There's a nice X6 on eBay now, the X7 and X6 are excellent DD tables, very underappreciated. I love my X7, sweet table and cool looking as well.

Attachments

• PSX7Sony 0075.JPG
    PSX7Sony 0075.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 33
Lefty said:
I saw that one also and it would be a local pick up for me. It's just that visually the X60 appeals to me more then the X6. Who knows what I'll end up with :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PS-X6-Auto...85QQihZ019QQcategoryZ3283QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've never heard the PS-X5/6/7, but I have a PS-X60 and it the sound quality and ergonomics are excellent. In fact I have done direct A/B comparisons and think the sound is better than the Technics SL-1600mk2. An additional nice feature that the X60 does have is adjustable VTA, which the PS-X5/6/7 did not have.

Pickup is always preferable, but my method of getting the TT packed hasn't failed me so far. First I contact the seller BEFORE the auction is over and ask if he'd be willing to accept some straightforward, easy packing instructions, such as removing the platter, securing the tonearm, etc. I also mention that tts are so delicate and how even people who are "professional" packers have sent turntables that ended up as junk. Most of the time the sellers will respond favorably. Then, when I've hopefully won the auction, before I send any money I contact the seller and ask him to read my list. It's not what everyone here might want, but it works for me. Don't send him to a website for instructions--list it yourself, exactly how you want it. And every single step. Make it as easy to understand as possible.

Some sellers are totally clueless and you have to define every part you're discussing or explain how to remove the platter. And make sure to thank them for accomodating you and tell how grateful you are. It's exasperating, but if you walk them through it, even though they may not follow every step perfectly, it should work. Removing the platter and counterweight and securing the arm are the most critical. I usually have them leave the headshell attached so they don't bust up the cartridge, and leave the dust cover attached so that it actually protects the headshell, cart and tonearm. Not everybody agrees with that, but I've found as long as it's well insulated and wrapped in a certain way, it works fine. In any case don't pay until you have confirmation that he understands the directions and will comply. I'll post my list or email it to you if you're interested.

Whatever you decide, good luck. You won't regret either table I'm sure.

Howard

I've always heard that the Marantz 6300 was one of their best, not that I'm trying to suggest you stay with the Marantz, own Sony myself. TheVintageKnob is the best place to check out the classic Sony stuff. I'd also suggest you consider a PS-X600 or a PS-X75, both biotracers and both great turntables (if everything works right, if the microprocessor goes you'll need to buy another to replace it, Sony don't stock them no more). I own both, but my main table is an X75—beautiful, heavy, and of very high build quality. I also own a X60 and a broken X70, which are basically the same (check out TheVintageKnob for details), but I think the X75 is a step above in build quality. Another nice thing is that all of these Sony turntables are relatively undervalued compared to similar makes (you should get enough for your 6300 to easily buy any of the Sonys mentioned, maybe two if you're lucky).
Oh, and what Howard says above about shipping. Quality turntables are like lab instruments: intricate, expensive, and fragile. Shipping is always a gamble.

Contact member Birddog. He's a very well-respectable fella in my book, and he's got a pair, I think, of Sony TTs. He's got no need for 'em as he's got few records, and a gaggle of TTs already.

Wow, thanks to all for the information and opinions. It really was helpful.

thedelihaus: I will contact Birddog when I get a chance, thanks for the lead

bjarmson:

Unless the seller is a know factor on shipping and packing turntables I will not go that way. Local only or in the case of the one I linked, picked up be my brother in law. Pretty sure I won't sell my Marantz 6300 TT. It lacks a dust cover and was a local purchase for $50. Very nice looking TT but for some reason I want to try out a vintage Sony. I recently sold my Sansui SR-838 for $240 so I the hobby fund is in good shape. The Sansui was very high quality, heavy TT, but totally manual without even a arm lift at the end of record :scratch2:

hakaplan: Thanks for your experiance and opinions on the Sony TTs. Your packing instructions for sellers is right on and I've heard of others attempting to communicate them, but ultimatly, unless there is a personal reference from someone I trust for a specific seller, I think shipping TTs is too risky.

So thanks again to all. I think I'm going to concentrate on the listed X60 first and the X6 second as that is the order of their closing dates. Now to figure out how to keep my brother in law from messing with the TT until I get to Idaho to pick it up from him :scratch2: :D

Lefty

Back
Top Bottom