Sony walkmans - mid 90's versions

brianjrealto

anyone familiar with the Sony walkmans WM-EX651 or WM-EX670?

I have a few mid 90's Aiwa's that sound great. but, i want to try a sony and compare...

I see these for sale on ebay for reasonable price for good condition..

any thoughts?

I have a 80's Aiwa that records as well as plays. The unit is still functioning to this day. They ( Aiwa ) made some nice portables. Sorry no Sony experience.

I'm at the library so I'll check and post tomorrow. I have a few 90's Sony walkmans that I like a lot.

My favorite that I had in high school was the Sony Walkman WM-EX808. Barely bigger than the size of a cassette due to the fact that it uses a gumstick rechargeable battery and has no extruding control buttons. I remember being amazed at the sensitivity of the buttons. That metal plate with the Walkman logo on it slides up to cover the buttons when in use.

I even took it apart when it stopped working and replaced a belt to get it working again. I believe this was my first piece of audio gear that I ever worked on. :banana: It ended up getting stolen from me and I still consider buying a replacement to this day. It was that cool.

I had the black version but here is a picture of the popular high gloss chrome version.
14268858960_39d8dcf08b.jpg

Interesting. Most of them listed on Ebay are from Russian Federation and Europe. Must have been really popular there.

I had the WM-75, the Sports Walkman that looked like a diving bell. I had the blue version, but it came in yellow and red as well. That thing was SO cool, it had little slider switches inside for Dolby and norm/hi bias, which you only really needed to set once. Then close the thing up, and it was totally water proof. I remember once on vacation dipping it in the pool to clean the sun block off it. I've had other Walkmans with fancy equalizers on them, but this one sounded so good, I never found myself wanting any tone controls.

Lee.

Only thing I don't like about WM-75 is that you must first set the PBEQ and Dolby NR first before you can load the tape as the switches are located inside the deck, behind the cassette. If there is a tape inside, the shell blocks these switches.

The best walkman in my opinion, the logic series, ams, auto reverse, Dolby, etc. The DD series are the best sounding ones but the 90s series are amazing like this Sony WM EX5, Panasonic RS S50.

I really loved this little machines

F2EF452E-4391-4907-B946-8F8BFA6CCDA2.jpeg 05FACF6D-5CC6-46BD-906A-C7E25BE08C13.jpeg A2744675-351E-4F9C-A23E-AFB5D7A38521.jpeg A827E4C0-3869-4778-BEE5-FA7E97754240.jpeg 97430847-6A92-4025-BA6A-F027384EBE1D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom