Sorta OT/Air Conditioning Motor Control Unit/POV

Artcurus

Sort of off topic, but also sort of related.

We have a TRANE XL90 (2007) furnace that quit working. Inside blower refuses to start, outside fan/compressor starts fine. The primary problem appears to be a POV (those voltage overload capacitor looking disc that I've seen in many radios/TV's). The disc failed in the classic fashion, with burned through contacts and a black spot on the board.

The control unit consist of a 6 inch PC board, 4 electrolytics (all appear to be good, no swelling) a regulator diode, 4 toriodial transformers and this POV. The motor ohms out okay, and is getting 120 volts all the time (which is normal), but refuses to spin up. The start relay for the motor clicks, and does nothing else. TRANE says that there is no start/run cap on the motor. The motor normally operates on a variable speed system, and "talks" to a central control board that's basically the heart of the furnace. 24 volt xformer okay, thermostat okay.

My question is about that POV. We are 90% sure it just took a voltage hit, and died. BUT, when the things go out, is it a symptom of something else, or in this case, it just died?

Schematics for this thing are almost impossible to read and decipher, plus the schematic for the actual motor control, is not available.

I'll try and get a picture tommorow if possible.

I've been retired for some time but these were coming on line about the time I retired from hvac work. My experience with similar furnaces is you may as well buy the board and install it. They used to be under $100.

I've been retired for some time but these were coming on line about the time I retired from hvac work. My experience with similar furnaces is you may as well buy the board and install it. They used to be under $100.

Thanks Devil Dog,

Problem is that they (the HVAC guys) are dragging their feet on getting down here to fix it. We are a business and losing money because the shop is so hot and customers don't want to come in. We have another 100 degree day and we are on our third day w/out AC. Even the Trane master tech says that we could short the leads out from the burned out POV to see if the motor would start, but I do have a concern about exactly what caused the POV to go.

I have never heard of a pov

Are you sure you don't mean mov

Metal oxide varistor ?

I could be wrong

What is a pov ?

Thanks guys, yeah MOV was right <facepalm> Brain fart.

They replaced the motor control board and A/C is back up at the cost of around $800.

Kinda chaps my rear because I probably could have fixed it for around $1.

Back
Top Bottom