SOTA Star Sapphire and Eminent Technology Tonearm 2, Score!!

4-2-7

Smart Ass
Sponsor
Well I don't look on CL all that much but when I do I just search a few names McIntosh, JBL, SOTA and Sumiko. This morning I decided to take a look, nothing I wanted in Mac or JBL, time for SOTA and low and behold there was one, hardly ever see one because I would have them all...:p

SOTA Star and a ETT2, Looking at the photos on the CL listing it didn't look all that bad for the price they where asking, this is what was in the listing...

00L0L_cgTm6hSIPRt_600x450.jpg 00u0u_hdwXRqK6t9o_600x450.jpg 00303_jlkNhitVHCY_600x450.jpg

So I called them and they are a Waste Management Co. LOL, I asked if they still had the SOTA that's posted on CL and she said yes, I said I'll be right over.:banana:

Needless to say I never got to do my Sumiko search this morning.

Ok a bunch of photos and this is just as it was without any clean up when I got it home.

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! I'd have jumped at it as well. I've been looking for one of those arms used for ages for a reasonable price.....

Wow! I'd have jumped at it as well. I've been looking for one of those arms used for ages for a reasonable price.....

Thanks I always wanted to try an air bearing arm so here we go.

Hey you hit the jack pot and right down your alley!

No doubt Ken, great price and I didn't buy just any old thing, I got only what I need.....:p

This is my number "5" SOTA Star:rolleyes:

BTW this is an early Oakland #21954 unit, but looking at the platter it's been serviced not to long ago. It has the big vacuum lip and groove dampener mat, the motor plate is also acrilic and all knobs look new.

Ron what's House MD?

th

Ok I started to take it apart and clean it, it's definitely has been serviced and updated to a series III at least.
Cosmos Vinyl-Format Mat, and groove dampener with the large vacuum lip. This is the Cosmos plater upgrade.

The sub chassis is air craft grade plywood with a vinyl covering instead of MDF, the arm board screws go all the way though to blind nuts, new design.

The motor and control /vacuum box is update to new specs with the electronic flywheel combined in one unit. Speed is stable like a rock in 45/33, and switching back an forth only takes seconds to adjust.

IMG_2943.jpg IMG_2944.jpg IMG_2945.jpg

Now, there's an ultimate rig.
Ha Steve, I thought all my rigs where the ultimate...:)

This is a very nice table, I was really worried that it could have bearing or motor issues. At this point I could mount any of my other arms and have it dependably in my system.

The ET2 arm is going to need some parts, Cue lever, VTA parts, Counter weights and an air pump.

Back
Top Bottom