1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Sound and vision: The rise and fall of vinyl

Discussion in 'The Magazine Forum' started by fdrennen, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Scifi

Scifi Super Member

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Scifi

Scifi Super Member

3. CSCHOEN

CSCHOEN Active Member

I don't listen to records because they are "romantically sensual", but because in many cases, they
    just sound better than a cd.

darksolstice likes this.
  4. Scifi

Scifi Super Member

5. Scifi

Scifi Super Member

I remember when I first (knowingly) heard a CD played by an FM radio station. I was using a tubed FM radio with a tube amp and thought it sounded pretty good and was surprised when they said it was a CD. Before this, I tried using a Sony Walkman CD player that I thought didn't sound right when played through a tube amp.

6. Scifi

Scifi Super Member

7. Dr Tinear

Dr Tinear AK Subscriber Subscriber

Using "Fremer" and "brilliant" in the same sentence is not something I would do. I've read too much of his drivel in my years of subscribing to Stereophile.

Citing pseudoscience to support your preference for vinyl? Seriously?

I also need both vinyl and CD in my media collection, though if I were forced to choose between the two formats rather than allowing them to co-exist in peace, I'd go with the CD.

crooner likes this.
  8. Scifi

Scifi Super Member

Strawman arguments make you lose credibility.

9. CSCHOEN

CSCHOEN Active Member

I'm happy to have records and cds co-exist in peace. ;-)

onwardjames likes this.
  10. Dr Tinear

Dr Tinear AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's why I don't do it, Scifi. Your ignorance of engineering leads you to accept many questionable written opinions as fact if they happen to agree with your world-view on analog sound or hi-res digital. All I did was point out that the article you cited was scientifically feeble.

I'm getting tired of reading your posts, so let me welcome you to my Ignore list.

11. Scifi

Scifi Super Member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016

12. CSCHOEN

CSCHOEN Active Member

Even vinyl that has been mastered from digital files can sound better than a cd. The turntable adds resonance (depth, tone, out-of-phase effects) to the sound of the music.
    Having said that, I prefer original pressings, or reissues that have been well mastered from original sources where possible.

13. audionut373

audionut373 Member

I like vinyl but, for me, way too much work to maintain.

14. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Damned right. I have some records that you can tell were not optimized. To my ears, they sound like shit. The worst of both formats.

I love all formats, because they bring me music. I don't really want to go back to cassettes or 8 track, tho. That garbly sound of your favorite mix tape being digested by hungry capstans and pinch rollers haunts me still, and whointhehell wants their favorite song to fade out.........then fade back in (with click in between)?

I really enjoy my MD player that records most vinyl I spin. If it is new, I spin it, and record on MD to enjoy at a time when I'm lazy or inebriated.

15. CSCHOEN

CSCHOEN Active Member

If you buy new records, or used records that are clean and in very good condition, there is not much to maintain,
    once your table is set up. I just wipe the record with a carbon fiber brush, and play. Keep the records in the sleeve,
    and you are good... Worth the effort (imo).

16. freQ(*)Oddio

freQ(*)Oddio Super Member

I am more apt to enjoy music on a record, if not for sound quality, just for the reason of not being so quick to skip songs. Being introduced to more songs by a artist from letting the record play. I have discovered some amazing songs on a albums B side that I would never have played on media or a cd. I notice a calmness when taking the time to enjoy records. The time and work involved makes me really appreciate each song as it plays. Not better just diff.. Trust me i also love pulling up a kick ass song that i know is going to be nice and clean on cd . Also as tweakers its fun to work on your turntable setup and compare it with the sound quality of your other sources...... A Turntables. ... upgrades, functions and adjustments are a hobby in itself.

sfox52 likes this.

17. freQ(*)Oddio

freQ(*)Oddio Super Member

I am about 40 miles north of lake George,

RhythmGJ likes this.
  18. blownsi

blownsi Super Member

I will never understand why it has to be one or the other. I prefer vinyl because the ritual is a form of stress relief for me not because it is or isn't superior.

arclight73 and Jody Thornton like this.
  19. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

The title of the thread should read:

Fremer vs antagonist preceded by an article.

20. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Addicted Member

Funny thing, I was in Germany from 1990-2000 and they never shut down all the vinyl pressing plants. The smaller independent labels in Europe paid for the rights to reproduce certain albums in small batches again and again, to include the original center label on the record. In fact before there was vinyl, there was shellac platters that were first made in 1898 and the medium only changed but never ended.

So I’d like know how a medium that is 120 years old can be a fad ??

BOUXY and RhythmGJ like this.