Sound and vision: The rise and fall of vinyl

I remember when I first (knowingly) heard a CD played by an FM radio station. I was using a tubed FM radio with a tube amp and thought it sounded pretty good and was surprised when they said it was a CD. Before this, I tried using a Sony Walkman CD player that I thought didn't sound right when played through a tube amp.

Using "Fremer" and "brilliant" in the same sentence is not something I would do. I've read too much of his drivel in my years of subscribing to Stereophile.

Citing pseudoscience to support your preference for vinyl? Seriously?

I really need both cds and vinyl. Some records I have are not on cd, and if they are, the vinyl has been mastered better. On the other hand, I have more than a few cds
(Mofi, AF, DCC gold discs) that are so much better than the record I have, that the cd is what I will play. But I would trade my cds before I would my records.

I also need both vinyl and CD in my media collection, though if I were forced to choose between the two formats rather than allowing them to co-exist in peace, I'd go with the CD.

Using "Fremer" and "brilliant" in the same sentence is not something I would do. I've read too much of his drivel in my years of subscribing to Stereophile.

Citing pseudoscience to support your preference for vinyl? Seriously?

I also need both vinyl and CD in my media collection, though if I were forced to choose between the two formats rather than allowing them to co-exist in peace, I'd go with the CD.

I'm happy to have records and cds co-exist in peace. ;-)

Strawman arguments make you lose credibility.

That's why I don't do it, Scifi. Your ignorance of engineering leads you to accept many questionable written opinions as fact if they happen to agree with your world-view on analog sound or hi-res digital. All I did was point out that the article you cited was scientifically feeble.

I'm getting tired of reading your posts, so let me welcome you to my Ignore list.

Last edited:
>>>>listening digital files from which 90% of new vinyl releases are cut.<<<<

I'm trying to stay out of this because, y'know... And, I am probably as "vinylie" as the next guy; maybe more so. But I still like CD's and I have an iPod and an iPhone (and other digital players) as well.

The truth of the statement above is unfortunately without question, when it comes to _new_ productions that come out in multiple formats. They often do not bother to make multiple mixes and masters anymore, consequently the vinyl is often made from the same mixes that the MP3's (and CD's if there are any) are made from. So there is no optimization for each format. The vinyl is pressed as an after-thought. Because it's "cool" and Taylor Swift wants her friends to be able to get copies on vinyl (that they can leave unopened).

Not true for reissues that have access to master tapes of unreleased mono masters/alternate takes, of course. Also not true for vinyl-centric labels like Daptone, Colemine, and others.

GJ

Even vinyl that has been mastered from digital files can sound better than a cd. The turntable adds resonance (depth, tone, out-of-phase effects) to the sound of the music.
Having said that, I prefer original pressings, or reissues that have been well mastered from original sources where possible.

>>>>listening digital files from which 90% of new vinyl releases are cut.<<<<

I'm trying to stay out of this because, y'know... And, I am probably as "vinylie" as the next guy; maybe more so. But I still like CD's and I have an iPod and an iPhone (and other digital players) as well.

The truth of the statement above is unfortunately without question, when it comes to _new_ productions that come out in multiple formats. They often do not bother to make multiple mixes and masters anymore, consequently the vinyl is often made from the same mixes that the MP3's (and CD's if there are any) are made from. So there is no optimization for each format. The vinyl is pressed as an after-thought. Because it's "cool" and Taylor Swift wants her friends to be able to get copies on vinyl (that they can leave unopened).

Not true for reissues that have access to master tapes of unreleased mono masters/alternate takes, of course. Also not true for vinyl-centric labels like Daptone, Colemine, and others.

GJ

Damned right. I have some records that you can tell were not optimized. To my ears, they sound like shit. The worst of both formats.

I love all formats, because they bring me music. I don't really want to go back to cassettes or 8 track, tho. That garbly sound of your favorite mix tape being digested by hungry capstans and pinch rollers haunts me still, and whointhehell wants their favorite song to fade out.........then fade back in (with click in between)?

I really enjoy my MD player that records most vinyl I spin. If it is new, I spin it, and record on MD to enjoy at a time when I'm lazy or inebriated.

I like vinyl but, for me, way too much work to maintain.

If you buy new records, or used records that are clean and in very good condition, there is not much to maintain,
once your table is set up. I just wipe the record with a carbon fiber brush, and play. Keep the records in the sleeve,
and you are good... Worth the effort (imo).

I am more apt to enjoy music on a record, if not for sound quality, just for the reason of not being so quick to skip songs. Being introduced to more songs by a artist from letting the record play. I have discovered some amazing songs on a albums B side that I would never have played on media or a cd. I notice a calmness when taking the time to enjoy records. The time and work involved makes me really appreciate each song as it plays. Not better just diff.. Trust me i also love pulling up a kick ass song that i know is going to be nice and clean on cd . Also as tweakers its fun to work on your turntable setup and compare it with the sound quality of your other sources...... A Turntables. ... upgrades, functions and adjustments are a hobby in itself.

Funny thing, I was in Germany from 1990-2000 and they never shut down all the vinyl pressing plants. The smaller independent labels in Europe paid for the rights to reproduce certain albums in small batches again and again, to include the original center label on the record. In fact before there was vinyl, there was shellac platters that were first made in 1898 and the medium only changed but never ended.

So I’d like know how a medium that is 120 years old can be a fad ??

Back
Top Bottom