Sound cutting out in one speaker on one channel

Turnip

While listening to my CD channel the right speaker cuts out. It used to be occasional, now it pretty much doesn't work. Any tips for troubleshooting?

My plan at the moment is to swap the cables to check that isn't the issue first, then plug the different CD outputs into inputs for other channels on my amp, hopefully this should tell me if its the CD player or the amp not working, I'm just hoping I don't get too confused when swapping all the cables over.

Setup as in my signature.

Lots of integrated amps and receivers have tape record inputs and outputs. In most cases, these are seldom used. In most cases, they are in line with the inputs to the line amplification stage of the amplifier. Because the terminals are seldom used, they may have a film of contamination on their contacts. Cleaning the contacts with Deoxit 5 may solve the problem.

Sounds like dirty switches to me as well. If the CD player is always plugged into one input, try a different input and see if both work. Sounds like it would from your post. So one channel is dropping out at the source selector switch.

I see this is a modern looking receiver so it likely has relays to do this switching inside rather than a rotary switch like an older receiver would. So it may be a relay contact that is bad. You can just use a different input. If you run out of inputs you can get an outboard source selector switch box, or consider fixing the Yamaha.

While listening to my CD channel the right speaker cuts out. It used to be occasional, now it pretty much doesn't work. Any tips for troubleshooting?

My plan at the moment is to swap the cables to check that isn't the issue first, then plug the different CD outputs into inputs for other channels on my amp, hopefully this should tell me if its the CD player or the amp not working, I'm just hoping I don't get too confused when swapping all the cables over.

Setup as in my signature.

First thing to is swap the left and right CD inputs to see whether the dropped channel moves. If it moves, the problem is in the CD player.

If the "drop outs" continue on the right channel, the next step is to determine whether your problem is in the power amp or the preamp. To do this, remove the jumpers between pre-out and main in. In place of the jumpers put in a standard audio patch cord right to right and left to left.

Power on and make sure everything works. Also listen for a while and see if the drops out continue. (Reason for this is those jumpers are sometimes the problem.)

Assuming the drop outs do continue, now swap the left and right inputs to the main in. If the drops out continue on the right channel the problem is in your power amp. If the drop outs "move" to the left channel your problem is in your pre-amp.

So do these tests and let us know what you find.

Regards,
Jerry

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom