Sound dynamics port blocking crossover

Audi0

As with any restoration I always recap my speakers. Trouble is the crossover is glued to the back and blocked by the port tuning so no easy access. There is enough room to slide my fingers between it and thats it. Either way to service it is going to require me breaking something. I would rather not. any ideas? I have some solen caps and new resistors ready to go.

20170922_181054.jpg 20170922_180909.jpg 20170922_181054.jpg 20170922_180909.jpg

Dumb ? as you probably tried this, but can the port tube be twisted - gently - left/right enough to loosen it and withdraw it?

Or perhaps a putty knife worked around and under edges of cross-over back-plate?

1. Have you tried cutting the crossover board off with a razor knife (between the back panel and the masonite crossover board)? Perhaps it's only glued on the perimeter.
2. Is the port glued into the back panel to where it won't twist clockwise?
3. If I couldn't razor out the crossover board or twist the port tube, I'd put a saw blade on the dremel and cut the tube from the inside using my knuckle as a guide. Determine if the tube is ABS or PCV and get the proper glue (don't drip wither PVC or ABS cement on the crossover) at the plumbing aisle and reassemble. If you don't trust the glued joint, it can be reinforced with either a coupler or some of this bitchin' tape.

I've had to reglue that port tube a couple of times on Sound Dynamic speakers. Are you sure you can't get it out?

Pulling that back board out that holds the crossover is a no go as it's glued in and stapled. The port tube i tried a few things and its in there good. I'm worried about breaking the mdf port hole which supports the tube. That black pipe I could cut and redue however it's not the common plumbing kind it's too thin. I left the crossover as is. I did redue the binding posts as the original was crumbling.

The caps are out of spec I got the values
3.79/3.82/5.64/5.58. What they should be is 3.3 and 4.7. There is apparently a 5.7uf version of the crossover so I at least I can tell myself it's in spec.

They didn't turn out bad
20170923_102503.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom