Sound fading on old Fisher amp, becomes normal when you tap the speaker cone.

I, personally would never bake an amplifier board in an oven. You are NOT making the solder flow on the board, and if you are, you are cooking the electronics far beyond their heat ratings.

No way.

Typical solder will NOT melt at 100-150 degrees C. That is only the boiling point of water and slightly above.

Doug

Darn y'all for this thread!! I thought that my BPC technics was on the way out - and I'd have an excuse to get something at least marginally better...

If its in the amplifier, no amount of tapping the speaker cones, will produce the results that you have decribed!
I had the strangest thing happen to me not that long ago. Running a pair of DCM-400 on a Carver amp in a temp setting. Amp was maybe 10 feet from one speaker. One speaker quit working. I would walk over to it and it would start working. Figured it had to be a loose connection. Tightened down the binding posts - still happened. I messed with it for a while and thought it had to be something loose in the xo. Took the speakers to another amp and they worked fine.
Long story short, it turned out some how it was a loose connection on the back of my amp. Don;t ask me how or why, but after swapping in some new cords, worked great and never had the problem again.

I tried everything - three different types of cable, two pairs of speakers, giving it a good douse of beer...oh, wait, that was me giving ME a good douse of beer, hitting it, tapping the cone (which worked). So, I cleaned the contacts and I'll finish putting it together in a bit.

I hope it *doesn't* work. I'm thinking about a chinese tube amp...

Back
Top Bottom