Sound improvement on a tight budget

Romeo Wolf

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I was going to spend $30 on this Atka Adventure Kit here: https://nywolf.org/shop/Atka-Adventure-Kit-p108967922

But unfortunately they Sold out before I could buy it, and they haven't came back in stock yet.

So I decided on another thing: improving the sound on my stereo system. It consists of an underpowered (not running at factory spec) $100 FB market Sherwood S-7900A, powering a pair of my precious, Love-to-death $40 Goodwill (local pickup only) find Sanyo SSV16's. The speakers on top are Zenith SRF-711B that aren't connected because of low 4-Ohm impendance that may fry the receiver if I hook them as rear speakers.

My room is a decent size, but sounds a bit echoey. The speakers are probably around 5.25-6" from the wall:P_20180815_115204_vHDR_On.jpg
If I could post a couple video's here for the sound test, I would. But unfortunately the file size is too large to fit on here.

I can explain what it sounds like: it has a bit of a JBL bass punch to it sometimes, but usually it's just tight and punchy. Here's a paranormara view of the situation; (Right side where the pillow is, is my main listening spot, middle is where the TV is, at the edge of my bed, where it sounds worst [hardly any low-end, kinda tinny, and probably no separation], Right is where the door is)P_20180815_125805_PN.jpg
This is how I set bass and treble on the receiver: (a bit confusing, I know) Bass: Pos +4 Treble: 0 P_20180815_113020_vHDR_On.jpg

I'm looking for tips on what I can do to improve the sound on my stereo system with only $30 to spend? Apologies for the shitty grammar if this doesn't make sense to you.

What I don't want/expect:

-A Subwoofer or new speakers (ancient receiver, no subwoofer out or risk to connect to Rear speaker terminals)
-Stands (because the sanyos are so massive and heavy)
-Better speaker cable (we already have that)

Last edited:
I would increase the distance between the speakers and make the listening position forming an equilateral triangle with the speakers.

I would increase the distance between the speakers and make the listening position forming an equilateral triangle with the speakers.
True. Where should I put them then? (Because they're so heavy, I would NOT put them on stands)

"Improve" is a fairly imprecise term. I would save up for better speakers and/or powered sub woofer and, in the meantime, follow Mr. Zooms advice and play with speaker placement.

Last edited:
Removing the speakers from the corners also helps to decrease existing echoes
But none of the speakers are connected to the Sherwood receiver, except the Sanyos.

Edit: I read that wrong. I'll just move the subwoofer and surround speakers into the closet.

Last edited:
Put your speakers in the corners of the room so they and the wall form an equilateral triangle.

I would keep my eyes peeled for some better speakers. I see them almost given away frequently. Not saying yours are bad but there are lots of killer deals on speakers, some that cost over a thousand new are tossed because they need $20 surrounds.
Yeah, you don't want to hear it but it's all i got.

The current style of hard wood floors, Venetian blinds with no curtains and open framed furniture coupled with the often harsh sound of cheap electronics has likely contributed to the ever decreasing popularity of home stereos. Sure people buy the compact multi-channel systems, use crappy sources like MP3s, CDs, blue tooth and other streams through the goofy little speakers in every corner with sub standard amps, soon they are gathering dust and ear buds become the "stereo". The distortion and echo chamber room dooms these systems from the start. Plus many new recordings seem to be recorded with controlled over modulation as a goal, no wonder vinyl is on a 10 year come back.
Long story short the cheapest and easiest way to improve sound is to make the room softer and play with speaker position. Then address the source and eventually the system it self, in that order or other wise in my opinion you are just spinning your wheels.

The current style of hard wood floors, Venetian blinds with no curtains and open framed furniture coupled with the often harsh sound of cheap electronics has likely contributed to the ever decreasing popularity of home stereos. Sure people buy the compact multi-channel systems, use crappy sources like MP3s, CDs, blue tooth and other streams through the goofy little speakers in every corner with sub standard amps, soon they are gathering dust and ear buds become the "stereo". The distortion and echo chamber room dooms these systems from the start. Plus many new recordings seem to be recorded with controlled over modulation as a goal, no wonder vinyl is on a 10 year come back.
Long story short the cheapest and easiest way to improve sound is to make the room softer and play with speaker position. Then address the source and eventually the system it self, in that order or other wise in my opinion you are just spinning your wheels.
Totally, and that's what I'm looking forward to.

CDs are "crappy sources?" Really? Hell no. Crappy CDs are crappy that is true but that goes for just about anything. Crappy pizzas are crappy but then not all pizzas are crappy, same goes with CDs. Duh. :rolleyes:

Many are many are not same with LPs and cassettes. Ever considered the concept of generalities ?

Many are many are not same with LPs and cassettes. Ever considered the concept of generalities ?
Yes I understanding the concept perfectly well. Generalities are of little value in a discussion of subjects such as the current one.

Yes, I have. You provided a perfect example of a generality by implying that all cd's sound inferior. I've heard some pretty crappy vinyl and cassettes over the years but that doesn't mean I'll go on record and say they suck.

I will grant you that the room and it's furnishing can have a tremendous effect on the sound of a system.

Was making friendly conversation, not anticipating editorial comment from the unfriendly peanut gallery. I was raised listening to Lps, generally CDs often have an edge to there sound. That is my option. Is that allowed or are we going to continue to pick it apart ?

echoey, every opposite wall should be soft. floor or ceiling, front or back wall and left or right side wall. And some soft furniture. Then there is the dispersion of the sound that does hit the hard walls. Stuff to break up the flat surface. I use extra speakers and gear in the listening room for dispersion since, well I got some. Might rather have the space in the room. may be time for a sale.

Back
Top Bottom