Soundcraftsmen or Onkyo Grand Integra?

BruenoB

So I have a decision to make.

I've owned a NM matching Soundcraftsmen SP4002 pre and MA5002 amp for years now and love them.

However, last night I picked up an Onkyo Grand Integra pre and matching amp.

They both need to be serviced as they are dirty (pots etc.) However they seem to work fine. The bad on them is the side veneer is coming off or has been broken off.

Question is, which would you keep and why? Also, what can be done to repair or replace that veneer on the Onkyo if I chose to keep them??

Avionic is very right about it being a close call.

Sentiment and scarcity drive me to the SC stuff as keepers. They will get more and more difficult to find NM specimens.

But, if you wanted to look at it another way, the Onkyo stuff will probably remain a bit easier to service and source parts for in the nearer future.

Hmm...you're on track with Avionic with the increasing scarcity of the SC gear. Especially in the condition mine are in.

Interesting.

I was expecting everyone to jump on the Onkyo bandwagon. Lol

Which Onkyo amp and preamp? The side pieces can be made easily, the stock ones are just rosewood veneer so nothing special there. I plan to make panels for my M-504/P-304 combo even though the stock ones are fine. I have some Brazilian cherry I plan to use

Well if they sound half as good as my set, I would keep the Onkyo stuff. As I said, panels are a piece of cake to make up out of an exotic wood and they will be better quality then the veneer side panels. They should be the same size as the M-504/P-304 panels

The Onkyo and SC stuff are pretty close in quality and looks but I give the Oinker's the edge in sound

So 1 for the SC, 1 for the Onkyo and 1 leaning towards the SC but on the fence. Lol. You guys aren't helping!!

Maybe it would help to know they'll be pushing my new 4430s or my Cerwin Vega 2000-15s when I rotate them in.

If you want a bunch of records or other stuff for the Oinkers, I will give them a good home

I had a mint matching 4002-5002 Soundcraftsman pairing but still have my Onkyo 508. and it was not an easy decision to let the SC gear go. My thinking was the SC's were a bit older and would need servicing sooner than the Onkyo. The clunkiness of 4002's volume pot and it's ostentatious styling also helped my decision.

Jeeez. For years I've heard the praises of Oink-yo.,
NEVER have I heard any such 'goodness' in their produced 'sounds'..
What Gives?? Shills or naive consumers? Dunno.. it baffles me.
Personally I wouldn't waste any of MY $ on that Brand.. ever.
But then it's Your choice.. Fill your Boots Kid.

Back
Top Bottom