SoundSmith Cartridge's What do you think?

spending $700 is not really a BIG leap given your other equipment. the soundsmith carts have all been well accepted in the respectable press. if i didn't have a real stack of choices already in the house, i would consider them given their positive reviews by already trusted reviewers.

there is plenty written about the benefit of LOMC vs mm and some counter to that. LOMCs have significantly moving mass than that of MMs. the SS carts are moving iron iirc, which has similar moving mass as MMs. the low mass tends to benefit transient response, hence improved detail. i have gravitated to MCs of the low type but have other things as well. all have attributes and demerits.

I have a SoundSmith Boheme and a SoundSmith Otello......... I love them both! Moving iron (MI) type cartridges like Grado. The Boheme has a contact line stylus with a ruby cantilever.

btw: the retipping that Soundsmith does is great as well. Just received back and tested today the Soundsmith retipping of my Denon DL-160 with a sapphire cantilever and contact line stylus.... Wow! I almost can't believe how great this cartridge sounds now.... and it was very good before .....
Since this cartridge has not been available for years now, I'll bet there are plenty of people out there with one sitting in a drawer somewhere..... I highly recommend having it retipped for use again......

If I had the money to spend on one, I'd buy the SoundSmith ruggedized iRox series. That would suit my needs for a good, durable daily driver cartridge which is better than most such options.

I just can't get a half way decent sound out of my Krell system. As for the Ampzilla system no problem!
but I need to find a cartridge for the VPI Scout.
IMG_6293.JPG IMG_6292.JPG

All the money you have spent on your audio system is only as good as the cartridge and stylus you have on your turntable.... SoundSmith Boheme would probably be good enough.... The Klipschorns I have are very demanding for high quality sound..... The Boheme on a Thorens TD-160 with an SME Series 3 arm does the job.

I would imagine that your turntable can make your system sound great with a Soundsmith cartridge that has the contact line stylus. I don't know anything about the Zephyr..... check cantilever type and stylus type.... and compliance issues ... I'm sure you will make the right decision when you do your research.

the Zephyr MIMC Cartridge is the best sounding cartridge i ever had. lots of depth and separation. finally i have a great sound from the Krell and Sonus Faber speakers, I was losing hope!
IMG_6436.JPG IMG_6437.JPG

I have an MIMC going through a Bob's SUT/Manley Chinook combo, and it's a fantastic cart (the separation and tracking are pretty incredible). When it's time to go back to Soundsmith, I'll probably ask them to upgrade it to a Star.

Thanks to Stuart, I had a killer Soundsmith Carmen, best MI cart I ever heard, too bad my 11 year old granddaughter bent the stylus into a horsehoe, I was devastated as I could never afford another one and the cost to retip it was way beyond my budget. Same priceish, I think they are $700-800 new

Maybe you should replace the Krell instead of the cartridge?

I would at least borrow a different amp and try it in your system.

I bought a SoundSmith SMMC20EN for my Beogram 8000 seven years ago, and it's done a very good job thus far. The stylus has seen a lot of hours by this point, but it still sounds pretty good. IIRC, the SMMC20EN is roughly equivalent to both the SMMC3 and the Carmen. Here are some pictures of my SMMC20EN in action on my Beogram 8000:
bg8000_smmc20en.jpg

bg8000_newcart.jpg

You'll need an MC phono for that !
You'll need more gain than what you have - 58-64
you'll need to set it at 470 ohm NOT 47K
Without that capability you'll never get good sound.....
Learn what you need and do it correctly or you'll be very disappointed.

You'll need an MC phono for that !
You'll need more gain than what you have - 58-64
you'll need to set it at 470 ohm NOT 47K
Without that capability you'll never get good sound.....
Learn what you need and do it correctly or you'll be very disappointed.

Gosh then! What an idiot I must be!

Back
Top Bottom