Source for 10-32 x 1" Black Phillips Fillister Mounting Screws

MCM_Fan

AK Subscriber
I'm looking for a source for the black 10-32 x 1" phillips head fillister mounting screws JBL used for mounting the woofers in many of their vintage speakers.

Specifically, I have a set of 4301B Control Monitors I'm restoring. The previous owner stored them improperly for about 20 years and the heads on the original screws are quite rusted.

I know I can paint them black, but that seems like a band aid approach. I'd prefer to located a source for something similar to the originals (minus the rust). Some quick googling led me to some overpriced stainless steel ones on eBay and some reasonably priced black ones with slotted heads from a few gun dealers. But, I was unable to locate any in black, with phillips heads of the fillister style JBL originally used.

Anyone know of a source?

Did you try Grainger or MSCDirect?

I tried Grainger and they only had them in stainless steel. I also tried my local Ace Hardware and the closest thing they had was hex head cap screws in both stainless steel and black oxide. The black oxide weren't as shiny as the originals.

Mcmaster-carr

91249A272

Black-Oxide 18-8 Stainless Steel Pan Head Phillips Screws
10-32 Thread, 1" Long

Pack of 50 each

$13.10
Pack

$13.10

Try hobby stores that deal with RC cars and trucks.

Those look pretty good. I wonder if they are available in a slightly smaller quantity.

Depending what climate zone you live in, speaker hardware will oxidize in normal living conditions, it doesn't need storage conditions to happen, just time.

Stainless will never rust again.

You can get a small bottle of "cold bluing" from the local sporting goods store.

Myself, i'd probably just source unfinished steel and use heat and oil quench to bring them to the shade of blue or black that pleases me. Why buy something off the shelf when i can DIY?

There were other clues that pointed to non-ideal storage conditions:

JBL_4301_B_4.jpg

JBL_4301_B_1.jpg

The whole point of finding a source of new screws is to avoid more work than necessary. Worst case, I can just sand the rust of the ones I have and paint the heads black. But, given the choice, I'd rather buy some new ones.

There were other clues that pointed to non-ideal storage conditions:

JBL_4301_B_4.jpg

JBL_4301_B_1.jpg

The whole point of finding a source of new screws is to avoid more work than necessary. Worst case, I can just sand the rust of the ones I have and paint the heads black. But, given the choice, I'd rather buy some new ones.
I was going to suggest cleaning them up with a wire brush and use the cold blue solution mentioned earlier...

Yes, EXACTLY like those. Unfortunately, at my current rate of restoring classic JBL speakers, that would be a 250 year supply. Plus, I don't want to spend more on the screws than I have invested in the speakers.

Seriously, I saw the exact same screws from the same seller on amazon.com. Same deal - 3000 minimum quantity.
If you did buy 3000, I would probably be good for 60-80 of 'em. :-D

How big of a demand do you think there is for the screws? I have an ebay store, and the materials to re-package. I wouldn't be opposed to buying a batch to resell. Would 1 1/4" be OK? That way they would maybe fit more applications. How many does each speaker take?

Biggest problem is that the packaging materials, ebay and paypal fees, and postage (minimum $2.66 as of now) gets the price up there.

1-1/4 is no big deal. Not sure about demand though.
That was my only reservation. The thing that makes the screws unique is the Fillister head. It really serves no purpose other than looks. For someone who wants "original", I can see it. Unfortunately, most people would just bebopp down to Orchard Supply and buy anything that would fit.

How big of a demand do you think there is for the screws? I have an ebay store, and the materials to re-package. I wouldn't be opposed to buying a batch to resell. Would 1 1/4" be OK? That way they would maybe fit more applications. How many does each speaker take?

Biggest problem is that the packaging materials, ebay and paypal fees, and postage (minimum $2.66 as of now) gets the price up there.

Maybe pair them with some nice-fitting black nylon washers and go after the rackmount screw market.

Thanks to a kind and generous soul over at the Lansing Heritage forums, I will soon have some genuine replacement JBL 10-32 x 1" black fillister screws.

Turns out, JBL is the best source for these guys. They still stock them. The details are:

JBL pro: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday at 800-397-1881

804-41100-16
10-32 x 1
FIL PH BLK

I also learned earlier today that JBL didn't always use black mounting screws for their woofers. I remembered I'd kept the mounting hardware from an orphan 4411 I'd parted out. I dug through my spare parts drawer and found the original silver 10-32 x 1" fillister mounting screws. All the other vintage JBL speakers I own (L36 Decades, 4301B Control Monitors and L19As) used black fillister screws.

For posterity sake, here's what they look like in both (rusted) black and silver:

JBL_Fillister_Screws.jpg

I prefer the look of the black ones and am thrilled to have some on the way.

Back
Top Bottom