Source for ECL86 tubes?

slimecity

I've just gotten back into the tube world after a looooong break. I have a Fountain 10-10. Apparently it has EF86 pre's and 2 x ECL86 for each output.

I have no idea of the circuit, is a very early NZ design that was most likely ripped off a Mullard 10-10 design (as the link says.....)

https://solidstatevalvetube.weebly.com/fountain-gemsonic.html

I realise that prices of tubes have sort of skyrocketed since I last tinkered with tubes. Am I stuck with getting two x matched pairs off epay to get my ECL86's, or does someone else know of a reliable (cheap, relatively?) source for these?

thanks!

I don't dislike AES - use them all the time - but at over $200US for a quad, not to mention shipping from AZ to NZ, I think I would be looking on the bay for someone closer, a seller with good feedback, deals in tubes etc.
I was just given an amp with a quad of Telefunken ECL86, so I looked them up. Many used examples, both from W. Germany and Gr Britain, for about half what AES wants.

True enough, I just know AES is reliable, I have no experience wirh the other vendor mentioned. The other vendor's prices are five years out of date though, it feels too good to be true.

It's almost shocking how expensive the ECL86 became, those are KT88 prices!

Listed above is ABC Vacuum tubes. They are in Orlando, Florida USA. They are also ESRC Vacuum Tubes http://www.esrcvacuumtubes.com/index.html

Same people, and I don't know why different "Business Names". I have dealt with and talked with ESRC tubes several times. They answer the phone (I realise you are in New Zealand). But nothing but honest, as described and reasonably priced. I recommend (and have NO affiliation, what so ever).

BTW, same price for the 6GW8 at both "vendors".

Listed above is ABC Vacuum tubes. They are in Orlando, Florida USA. They are also ESRC Vacuum Tubes http://www.esrcvacuumtubes.com/index.html

Same people, and I don't know why different "Business Names". I have dealt with and talked with ESRC tubes several times. They answer the phone (I realise you are in New Zealand). But nothing but honest, as described and reasonably priced. I recommend (and have NO affiliation, what so ever).

BTW, same price for the 6GW8 at both "vendors".

Ah I have no personal experience with ESRC, but know some people in the antique radio community who swear by them

Thanks a lot guys - very valuable advice. I've been busy burying my head in SS and VFET amplifiers - and the world of tubes has passed me by.

I also realise that there is a heater current/voltage mod one can do to change your amp from taking ECL86's to PCL86s, however Im definitely not confident enough to try this yet....

You know, the price of the ECL86 makes a person think. There is currently another thread showing an adapter to convert an ELL800 to a pair of EL95. Someone industrious could make a similar adapter to replace an ECL86 with a 6AQ5 and a 6AV6.

I bet it would work fine 90% of the time and cost very little

You know, the price of the ECL86 makes a person think. There is currently another thread showing an adapter to convert an ELL800 to a pair of EL95. Someone industrious could make a similar adapter to replace an ECL86 with a 6AQ5 and a 6AV6.

I bet it would work fine 90% of the time and cost very little

Why not go all in. Build that adapter to run a 6Pi15Pi-EV and sacrifice a wee bit of gain and run a 6S4P-EV.
cheers,
Douglas

Why not go all in. Build that adapter to run a 6Pi15Pi-EV and sacrifice a wee bit of gain and run a 6S4P-EV.
cheers,
Douglas

I like your thinking. A person would need to look at the circuit of the specific amp to make sure it's all suitable, but you could easily build the adapters, and buy enough tubes to last a life time, for well under the cost some people are asking for NOS ECL86.

Those 6P15P's work quite well. I have a set in what was an EL84 amp that runs on the gentle side of life.

This place looks like the best source - http://www.esrcvacuumtubes.com/index.html

However I have messaged them a few times and haven't heard back.

Pending no other decently-priced supplier becoming available - I have a had a supplier with good feedback on epay tell me he can match 4 x ECL86s - but they will be from different manufacturers.

Would this matter? Wouldn't the tubes sound/perform differently?

Its this guy - https://www.ebay.com/itm/ECL86-vari...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I do think I am pretty low on options - especially finding those willing to ship internationally.

I've just gotten back into the tube world after a looooong break. I have a Fountain 10-10. Apparently it has EF86 pre's and 2 x ECL86 for each output.

I have no idea of the circuit, is a very early NZ design that was most likely ripped off a Mullard 10-10 design (as the link says.....)

https://solidstatevalvetube.weebly.com/fountain-gemsonic.html

I realise that prices of tubes have sort of skyrocketed since I last tinkered with tubes. Am I stuck with getting two x matched pairs off epay to get my ECL86's, or does someone else know of a reliable (cheap, relatively?) source for these?

thanks!
This is not what you want to hear, but this is my best advise:
If you cannot modify the unit to use EL84 then your best bet is to search for another amp. Try to sell the
amp on ebay , thereby moving the ecl86 problem to someone else.

OK so the epay source I cited above said he can supply four tubes - however they are from different manufacturers.

He said that he can match these however.

I asked him if they are matched for current draw at tube amp voltages. He replied that they are tested at the makers datasheet settings.

Is this good enough.

The current problem I have is that 1/2 Telefunken ECL86's i one channel arent matched to the others, there is a hum in that channel.

Perhaps if I drop new pairs in and first listen for hum (to indicate one is drawing less/more current than the other), and then test the current draw of each tube - this could be OK?

Cheers

OK so the epay source I cited above said he can supply four tubes - however they are from different manufacturers.

He said that he can match these however.

I asked him if they are matched for current draw at tube amp voltages. He replied that they are tested at the makers datasheet settings.

Is this good enough.

The current problem I have is that 1/2 Telefunken ECL86's i one channel arent matched to the others, there is a hum in that channel.

Perhaps if I drop new pairs in and first listen for hum (to indicate one is drawing less/more current than the other), and then test the current draw of each tube - this could be OK?

Cheers
I think the matching is ok. Go for it, but consider the amp living on overtime, enjoy it while it works.

Back
Top Bottom