Source for new audio tape?

2chman

Just picked up a pioneer rt707 cheep., getting it out of the shop tomorrow and curious about tape. What, where and why. Haven't dsided to keep yet but want to play with it and see if it is any good. Any suggestion welcome as to the model.

Spent a fair amount getting this unit cleaned and gone thru and set up correctly and don't want to mess up the heads with oxidized tape that's 50 years old. Maybe I'm being anal and overly cautious but it's been 40 years since Ive messed with Tape

There are new tapes out there from RMGI, but I'd not worry about old Maxell tape being bad. I use nothing but NOS Maxell and BASF and have never had a problem. Do a quick search on SSS "sticky shed syndrome" here and on TapeHeads and you can get an idea of what to avoid.

If you prefer to use new tape, there are several choices. Capture 930, Recording The Masters (RTM) LPR35 and ATR MDS-36. All of these are available on 7” reels. You will probably need to have your RT-707 calibrated for the tape in order to achieve the best performance.

http://www.splicit.com/category-s/152.htm
http://www.splicit.com/PYRAL-LPR35-s/141.htm
https://www.nationalaudiocompany.com/product/7-reel-of-atr-mds-36-14-tape-boxed/

Although Maxell tape has held up well compared to some other types of tape, the new tapes available today offer better performance and can often be purchased at a price that is quite competitive with the price of used reels of Maxell available on eBay.

Last edited:
Thanks dhnask. My tech has all the original bias tapes from pioneer to set bias as well as all the tool's and jigs for servicing.

I have never had any troubles with vintage Maxell tape. There can always be an exception when tape was stored in terrible conditions (moisture and high heat), but so far, so good. btw-tapes have an oxide coating-that's what stores the signal. Unless playing one leaves your tape path dirty after use, it's probably fine.

Have fun....

Last edited:
I appreciate all the info and input you guys are offering I hope I hate working with tape again after all these years cuz the alternatime might get expensive! LOL:music:

With any R2R machine regardless of brand or whether using old Tape or not(I use BASF at least 40+ yrs old,hundreds of them)Cleaning of the Heads and all Tape Paths is mandatory at least for me every time they are used! You don't have to do it every time but I still do it.This way I never have any build-up of unwanted anything to worry about and it all works/sounds great:)

With any R2R machine regardless of brand or whether using old Tape or not(I use BASF at least 40+ yrs old,hundreds of them)Cleaning of the Heads and all Tape Paths is mandatory at least for me every time they are used! You don't have to do it every time but I still do it.This way I never have any build-up of unwanted anything to worry about and it all works/sounds great:)

I'm with ya on that! I'm anal as well! LOL

Greetings from RojoLand!

IMO you can't go wrong with Maxell tape. I'm in the midst of transferring my 33-to-40-year-old radio programs to computer. Most of those were recorded on Maxell UD 50-60. They sound today just like they did 30-odd years ago (on the same machine that recorded them, BTW — an Akai 4000DS Mk-II). No hint of SSS, squeal or deposits. I keep those tapes in their original poly sleeves and boxes. The comment above about proper storage is quite true. Be careful of what you see on eBay. Just 'cause the reel sez "Maxell" doesn't necessarily mean the TAPE is Maxell. Caveat emptor.

Have also used TDK Audua and BASF with good results. I hear that SM468 (new) is very similar to Maxell UD. After hearing a reel of older Agfa-Gevaert PEM 468 (the predecessor to SM468) I would concur.

Take care,

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"
Caretaker (slave?) of three Teacs (A-6300, A-4010S, A-3440), two Akais (4000DS, 4000DS Mk-II), a Sony TC-730, a Tandberg 10X, a ReVox B77 Mk-II, a Concertone S510-R, a Wollensak T-1500 and three Webcors (210-1, 210-1C, 2110-1).

BOUXY what are you using as a cleaning agent?
To clean the Heads and all the Pathways I use 95% Alcohol with Q-Tips and for all the Rubber I use believe it or not Q-Tips and Plain Dish Detergents.Serves me well:)

Huh Could use my rcm cleaner should work on all but the rubber (lab grade isopropyl , RODI water and a commercial surfactant.

Love the Maxell UD tapes and the RT-707!
Good to know about the newer tapes Kent. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom