Source for Technics SU-3500 power switch ?

Bert 1100

Hi there,
I'll soon be starting a resto on this nice amp.
My power switch is all broken inside, I don't think it's possible to save it.
Does anybody know of a proper modern replacement part ?
(preferably with the same shaft for the original button :))
Technics / Panasonic part N° SSLA20S....

Thank you !

Edit : I'm in Switzerland, so I need international shipping......

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like this is a common problem with these switches, so I thought somebody might have an answer....
But it looks like I'm on my own for this one...
Anybody ?

I had a similar problem with an SE-9021 power amplifier. The switch lever is broken but enough length remains to toggle on/off.

I found a tuner from the same product series, and as tuners go cheap (~$20IIRC) decided to get one and use it as a donor for the switch. The tuner is no less than an ST-9030, the rackmount series.

Search ebay for "alps 6 pin TV-5 toggle switch" - look at the seller from Taiwan. (no affiliation) I have successfully rebuilt a few Kenwood Alps power switches by swapping the entire switch body from these onto my original Kenwood toggle assemblies. The switch guts are identical, and everything is brand new. He ships internationally.

Your switch "appears" to be use same switch body, but I do notice slight cosmetic differences.

Also search the same but for "3 pin" from the same seller if your Technics only uses one side of the switch. The 6 pin version is actually two switches side by side in one . If the toggle lever is the same length you might be able to modify the mount holes and install that one fairly easily.

Here is a thread where I did the swap on a KR-7600 switch. Look at the photos and see if it looks doable. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/kr-9600-powers-switch.671447/page-2

Last edited:
I had luck once when needing a new push on, push off power switch for an old pre-amp. In my case the old one was marked with the amperage - 10A. After searching using those parameters, I located one on the Electronic Surplus (or Surplus Electronics?) website. It only needed a slight modification to the mounting holes (they were threaded and I drilled the threads off so bolts would pass through), re-used the original switch cap and voila. That website looks to have " one shot deals" so whatever they have is what they have.

Because the switch I needed was physically small yet have a 10A rating, it was a double pole as was the original. Each pair of terminals were bridged together.

Search ebay for "alps 6 pin TV-5 toggle switch"
Thanks, thats great info ! I'll give this a try.
It does look like it is not a straight replacement, I'll either modify the mounting or reuse part of the old switch. We'll see when I get the switch, I'll keep you updated :)

Search ebay for "alps 6 pin TV-5 toggle switch" - look at the seller from Taiwan. (no affiliation) I have successfully rebuilt a few Kenwood Alps power switches by swapping the entire switch body from these onto my original Kenwood toggle assemblies. The switch guts are identical, and everything is brand new. He ships internationally.

Your switch "appears" to be use same switch body, but I do notice slight cosmetic differences.

Also search the same but for "3 pin" from the same seller if your Technics only uses one side of the switch. The 6 pin version is actually two switches side by side in one . If the toggle lever is the same length you might be able to modify the mount holes and install that one fairly easily.

Here is a thread where I did the swap on a KR-7600 switch. Look at the photos and see if it looks doable. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/kr-9600-powers-switch.671447/page-2

I'd give this approach a try!

Update,
I got the switch suggested by gort69, it came from Taiwan reasonably quickly.

With a small mod it fitted right in and is working well.

What I did was fold the "wings" flat, drilled and tapped new holes, and cut off the extra length.
The length of the "shaft" is smaller by 3-4mm, but since the original sticks out a lot (too much IMO) that was no issue.
And since the new shorter shaft is not in line with any of the other switches it is not noticeable.

I used both sets of contacts and a new safety snubber cap.

Here you can see the new switch untouched on the left, modified in the middle and the original on the right.

IMG_2554.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

IMG_2582.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG

So thank you @gort69 !

Back
Top Bottom