Sources for Hi-Res audio files

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by SteveJewels, Jun 2, 2017.

1. SteveJewels

SteveJewels TunerHeaven.com Subscriber

I am marooned on a desert island and unable to get to my analog sources so I have decided to get a portable DAP and some IEM's until I can get back to civilization.

(I have accepted an assignment in western China and it looks as though I will be here for a while.)

The Audio-Technica IM03's will be delivered today. I have not yet decided on a DAP but I am leaning toward the Onkyo DP-X1a.

Streaming is not always a viable option for me as I have only the hotel Wi-Fi or cellular data for connectivity. The hotel Wi-Fi seems to be ok but I am looking to have files on the DAP.

What are good sources for purchasing Hi-Res audio files? What have you used? What do they cost? What do you recommend?

Thanks,

Steve

2. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wow, no responses. I am wondering the same.
    HELP?!

3. E-Stat

E-Stat Super Member

I purchase mine at HDTracks.com. Price varies by resolution and they frequently have sales. They have quite a catalog of stuff both old and new.

FauxHall likes this.
  4. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

5. lizard84

lizard84 Abider

What he said.

6. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

7. E-Stat

E-Stat Super Member

Thanks for the reference!

8. botrytis

There are others. Linn is one. Also try Deutsche Gramophone.

9. SteveJewels

[​IMG]

I knew I liked vinyl for a reason. :)

Thanks for the responses.

I am in China. Everyone I ask here says, "Oh no, they are free on the web." LOL

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  10. botrytis

Well, if you heard some high res files, that were actually engineered in high res, not just a CD master that was expanded for high res, you would be impressed. You also need a DAC that can play the files.

11. SteveJewels

Update:

I found a DAP, the Onkyo DP-X1a and some IEM's, Audio-Technica IM03's.

I have been listening to some of the digital stuff I have accumulated over the years from ripping my CD's and have been downloading files from Amazon Prime music. I was quite surprised at the improvement in SQ when listening to the same files on the DP-X1a compared to a Sandisk MP3 player. So far so good.

Now it is time to get some good Hi-Res files. Still looking or recommendations on places to buy files and suggestions for what files, technique of recording and mastering rather as well as good quality playback.

I did see the other thread with reviews. I found some good information there.

Thanks

Steve

12. MakingWaves

MakingWaves New Member

Hi Steve, you how you like your Onkyo ?
    I almost pulled the trigger on one this morning but I thought it would be best to talk to someone who owns one first,
    I have a million questions but first tell me your impressions

Thanks
    Marcos

13. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Active Member

14. dewdude

dewdude I fix stuff.

I'd argue that a lot of our favorite tunes were never mastered to audiophile standards to start with.

I'm going to have to investigate Hotel California. I have the original DVD audio 192khz source and thought it sounded fantastic. I have the HDTracks version...but I assumed it was largely just the DVD-A version.

I do know I was disappointed in the SACD release.

15. FauxHall

FauxHall Super Member

Blue Coast music has some great stuff. Well recorded and mastered but a bit pricey.

They love DSD. Even do San Francisco Symphony catalog including all of Mahler's symphonies.

http://store.bluecoastmusic.com/store

I second HDTracks too.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017