sources of Fidelipac NAB cartridges to buy

parminides

I have a cart machine. The person I bought it from supplied some Fidelipac tapes of all 3 sizes (4", 6", and 8"). I would like to buy more tapes, especially the 8" size. At this time ebay turns up nothing! Does anyone know where I can find the Fedelipac tapes (primarily 8" but also 4" and 6"). Thanks.

Try searching in "Music" for 4 track cartridges (not reel to reel). They're the same as a small Fidelipac (and many are Fidelipacs).

Cheers,
Larry B.

Try searching in "Music" for 4 track cartridges (not reel to reel). They're the same as a small Fidelipac (and many are Fidelipacs).

Thanks for the reply. The 4-track cartridges are not really what I want. I have a radio station-type cart machine (Tapecaster Model 700-RP Stereo). It is made for stereo Fidelipacs, which have 3 tracks: 2 for audio and 1 for control (via a series of recorded beeps).

On the other hand, perhaps if the 4-track cartridges have the proper dimensions to fit in my machine, my cart machine will then record on the tape in a 3-track configuration. Do you know if that will work?

EDIT: Also, what do you mean by the Music forum? I found Music Forums (with 3 sub-forums), but they seem to be about actual music, and not about tape to sell. Sorry for my ignorance. This is my first post in the audiokarma forums.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be a problem. The cartridge housings are physically identical, although the way the tapes are recorded may differ. But - audio tape is audio tape, it doesn't care about what you record. So - a 4 track stereo cart may not play back as you expect, but you should be able to make new recordings with no problems. OTOH, some cart machines don't have erase capability, so you may need a bulk eraser to re-record old ones with new material.

I did find a picture of your machine, and it appears to have an erase head, so you should be fine. Have fun!

Cheers,
Larry B.

[,,,] so you may need a bulk eraser to re-record old ones with new material.

I did find a picture of your machine, and it appears to have an erase head, so you should be fine. Have fun!

The seller threw in a bulk eraser, so we're in good shape there. I'm a novice at audiokarma. I can't find any 4-track tapes for sale in the "Music Forums." Is that where you meant?

They don't need to be Fidelipac/Dynamax. Look out also for Capitol Audiopak, 3M Scotchcart, Sonifex Sapphire, Cartridge Technology etc. Given that the US is the home of the NAB cartridge, I am surprised that you are having trouble finding them. (Mind you, I've never seen an actual Muntz 4-track cartridge per se.)

A few things to beware of:

1. Audiopaks came in several versions, the most recent being the AA-4 (I think) which had a transparent blue top.
2. The foam pads go bad, resulting in poor tape-to-head contact. But there was an outfit called Cart Guys (no idea if they still exist) who could supply pads.
3. Changing the pads is not easy.
4. Scotchcarts don't have pads!
5. AA-size carts run to about 10 minutes max at 7.5 i.p.s., but your machine can possibly take the next size up (somebody please remind me of the nomenclature!) although expect those to be unobtainium.
6. There are better machines, to be got for nowt. A friend recently junked some PR&E Tomcats, which in their day were seriously good.
7. Most machines don't have an erase head - and in fact replay-only machines have a dummy head (where the record head might be) to act as a tape guide. One notable exception was the ITC Series99 which not just erased, but located the splice also.
8. Make friends with retired radio station engineers. Chances are they'll have some carts that they'll be glad to give you, and possibly even service your machine for free, just for fun.

R

Last edited:
I sent an email to the Cart Guys and never got a reply. I think your suggestion/warning number 7 is the most promising. Thanks for the reply.

The cart machine can take all three sizes (I think the nomenclature is simply A, B, and C).

I am reasonably sure that the Cart Guys are defunct. And yes, there are other brands of NAB carts as mentioned earlier on, AudioPak, AristoCart, 3M/Scotchcart, are some of the finer out there.

Try typing 'Aristocart' into Google. You might as well bang your head on a brick wall.

And there were 'Marathon' carts with the rounded end, shaped a bit like the Philips logo!

Last edited:
I have a cart machine. The person I bought it from supplied some Fidelipac tapes of all 3 sizes (4", 6", and 8"). I would like to buy more tapes, especially the 8" size. At this time ebay turns up nothing! Does anyone know where I can find the Fedelipac tapes (primarily 8" but also 4" and 6"). Thanks.

Last edited:
I have several cart-related items that i would be interested in selling:

Spotmaster 1070R Mono Recorder/Reproducer
Excellent physical condition, but not currently operational
56 new Audiopak AA-4 carts, :10 to :20 seconds
3 crates used Audiopak AA-4 carts, many :10 to :40 seconds, others longer duration up to maybe 5:00, good condition
Audiolab TD1B bulk eraser, seems to be operational
2 black cart racks 23 1/2” X 17 1/2”, very good condition

I am trying to reach M. Lewis regarding an offer he made on this forum last October about some carts and a cart recorder. I have recently restored a Schulmerich carillon and would like to obtain carts for it and be able to record and/or copy carillon audio tracks onto them. I would appreciate any help in locating M. Lewis or anyone else who might be able to assist me in my quest. Thank you all very much. The carillon makes beautiful music and I would like to keep it running for as long as I live.

revox-b77,
thanks for the speedy reply. how would I send him a PM if I should give it a try? also, are you at all familiar with Fidelipac carts and recorders? do you know how I can possibly get it touch with any old radio engineers who might be able to help me acquire a cartridge recorder? thank you very much...

I do know a radio tech that used to work for the local radio station. I will email him and see what he says. As for the PM since you PM'ed me I will assume you figured it out.
Best

Back
Top Bottom