SP-2500 Speakers thrift store find with pictures

Culpeper,

Did you have a chance to listen to the audio files? I think the improvement is worth to change the caps for only a $30 investment. Not sure how well you can tell from my samples but in person it does sound much better.

I think I will do this mod on one pair and then compare the difference with the unmodded pair. Since I have two pairs of SP2500s. You got the individual product links to these caps you used? Thanks.

Would you describe he difference as a more subtle sound after changing the caps? I seem to hear less harsh highs after the change. The SP2500s are noted for their outstanding highs. Almost to a fault.

Last edited:
To my ears after the cap change it sounds more clear and detailed. Before it was a little muffled or muted sounding. But now is much more crisp and clean. That is the best way I can describe it. Here are the links to the caps.

Jantzen 2.2uF 400V Z-Standard Capacitor
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/sho...266&FTR=027-266&CFID=6998878&CFTOKEN=60902039

Jantzen 4.7uF 400V Z-Standard Capacitor

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/sho...274&FTR=027-274&CFID=6998878&CFTOKEN=60902039

Jantzen 10uF 400V Z-Standard Capacitor

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/sho...R= 027-282 &CFID=6998878&CFTOKEN=60902039

To my ears after the cap change it sounds more clear and detailed. Before it was a little muffled or muted sounding. But now is much more crisp and clean. That is the best way I can describe it. Here are the links to the caps.

Jantzen 2.2uF 400V Z-Standard Capacitor
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/sho...266&FTR=027-266&CFID=6998878&CFTOKEN=60902039

Jantzen 4.7uF 400V Z-Standard Capacitor

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/sho...274&FTR=027-274&CFID=6998878&CFTOKEN=60902039

Jantzen 10uF 400V Z-Standard Capacitor

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/sho...R= 027-282 &CFID=6998878&CFTOKEN=60902039

"Crisp and clean" is what we look for after a cap change out. Thank you sir. I will follow your lead and report back as soon as possible.

The Jantzen 2.2uF 400V Z-Standard Capacitor are on backorder. It will be longer than expected to update this thread. But I won't forget.

Shouldn't be out of stock too long. I've got a few projects going on so I've go stuff to keep me busy. This one should be interesting though. Thanks for your help and I'll keep this thread posted.

Better clarity

Sorry to hear it is on backorder. Maybe they will surprise you and get them in stock sooner!

I've got one set with the new caps to compare with the other set with the factory caps. The new caps give the entire box on obvious improvement in clarity. The highs are no longer harsh and the lows are no longer muddy. The caps definitely needed changing. Thanks for the help.

I, too, landed a beautiful pair of SP-2500. Mint from top to bottom. I'm curious about sampling with the tweeter dispersion grill removed. Mine are 6" off the floor, with a 10 degree backward tilt. Listening room size is 12'x12'....speakers are 6' apart. They were $100 bucks at the thrift store. Removed the grills and examined each driver closely. Pure Mint. Grills are mint. Perfect addition to my new home!

I, too, landed a beautiful pair of SP-2500. Mint from top to bottom. I'm curious about sampling with the tweeter dispersion grill removed. Mine are 6" off the floor, with a 10 degree backward tilt. Listening room size is 12'x12'....speakers are 6' apart. They were $100 bucks at the thrift store. Removed the grills and examined each driver closely. Pure Mint. Grills are mint. Perfect addition to my new home!

How about some pics?
Nice pickup!

Last edited:
The woofer bypasses the crossover and gets the frequency below 700hz, The the first capacitor/inductor network strips off the frequencies above 700 and feeds to the midrange. lastly the final capicitor/inductor network strips off frequencies above 6500hz and feeds to the tweeter. The resistors are usually used for current limiting to the mid and tweeter, as well as possible impedence matching all three speakers together. Understand also that the crossover points are not switches, but more gradual points. small amounts of above 700hz will be seen by the woofer, and small amounts of above 6500hz will be seen by the midrange.
As far as the pictures of the restoration (it it was yours)I would have recommended removing the original caps and hot gluing the new ones in place. I think that these new caps mounted in the air as they are could cause a bit of buzzing at low frequency because of the mass of the cap and the small leads. I would suggest pushing them down to the original cap, and putting a bunch of hot glue at the point where they meet.

Not my restoration. I just linked it for some visuals of the actual crossover. Thanks for the response. I was under the impression the woofer is straight to the amp with no crossover.

Man, that's some lazy work that guy did leaving those caps floating like that with the old ones still in place. When I replaced the capacitors in my SP-3005s, I removed the old ones, and then scraped away all the glue with a flat razor blade.. then I glued down the new caps in place of the old ones with hot glue, before soldering them in place.

I suspect that schematic is wrong, would be pretty cheesy to run the woofer with no low pass filter at all... on my SP-3005s the woofer gets a 12dB/octave low pass filter. Wonder if there's something we aren't seeing going on here.

The SP2500 brochure states the output signal of the amplifier is fed directly into the woofer bypassing the crossover network.

The SP2500 brochure states the output signal of the amplifier is fed directly into the woofer bypassing the crossover network.

Yikes... A woofer like that is going to have some nasty cone breakup which will be audible. Hard to understand their thinking, maybe some measurements would help solve it. I have a pair of Realistic Nova 7B, which also run the woofer without any low pass filter, and yeah, with a calibrated mic there is significant output due to cone breakup well above the crossover frequency.

I wish data on Sansui speakers was easier to come by, they're so beautifully made physically.

Back
Top Bottom